Porch light by remote question.

I don't know anything about this x10 stuff. What I want is to be able to turn on the porch light with a keychain remote. Do I have to buy a whole system or is there something I can buy to just hook up to the porch light?

Reply to
Scout Lady
Loading thread data ...

Thankyou for the help.

Reply to
Scout Lady

Using X-10, you would need to buy three pieces. 1) an X-10 switch for the porch light. 2) the key-chain remote 3) the 'receiver' that goes with the remote.

Anything else is going to be equally "complex", and almost undoubtedly more expensive.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

X10 doesn't only fail due to the inherent weakness of the medium. Poor quality hardware is the other culprit. If the B&D unit happens to be better built then it should be more reliable than X10 brand hardware.

Whether B&D is in fact better built is another matter. I haven't used FreeWire so I can't say. However, I have used X10 brand components and they are definitely low end.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

ANother Option look at black & decker FreeWire. Smarthome.com or I sell them also.

More reliable then X10 and great for this instance.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Dave Houston

Black and Decker is a bit better then X10 products.

Can you put Lightolier PLC switches in the same category with X10 branded products? I think even you would agree how much more realiable every other product is compared to X10 manufactured modules.

Granted the Pro line is better but I would never install any of these switches during a customer install considering the other options.

I would also argue that FreeWire products look much better then X10.

Reply to
Brian

Where's the evidence for this?

Are you saying that the inexpensive B&D stuff is on a par with the much more costly Lightolier switches?

I would also argue that the Lightolier X-10 stuff is no more immune to noise and signal suckers than any other X-10 device. Why else would they use their "firewall"?

No, I would not. My experience with several *Linc products is that they are total crap when compared to X-10.

Much of the X-10 Pro line is identical to the standard X-10 line. The only difference is the case (in some instances) and warranty.

Then you must be looking at something other than the keychain remote which is identical to the X-10 keychain remote.

What are the FCC ID numbers on the B&D products? That will tell us who manufactures them.

Reply to
Dave Houston

If all you are interested in is a single porch light then X-10 may not be the best choice. X-10 has no way to do this directly but, as someone already noted, requires replacing the wall switch with an X-10 capable switch which can receive commands over the powerline from a "receiver" that will translate the wireless remote commands into powerline commands. I would only recommend X-10 if you think you might want to automate other devices at some later date.

There are some non-X-10 ways to do this more directly but it depends on the details of the porch light itself as they require a rather bulky receiver that goes between the porch light socket and the light bulb. Look at the "Socket Adapter" about half-way down this page...

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

It's possible to do this using X-10 but without the need for an X-10 wall switch. The X-10 "socket rocket" fits between the existing socket and light bulb and gets it's signals over the powerline from the "receiver".

However, you need to make sure there is room for the "socket rocket" and I do not recommend using it with an overhead light as the heat can melt the adhesive used in the socket - bulb & socket can fall out.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

With the *limited* space available in most porch-lights...

*AND* the fact that you cannot turn the 'socket rocket' *on*, unless the wall-switch is already on...

It didn't seem worth mentioning.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I got the impression that the need to leave the switch on may be less of a problem than replacing it for the OP. You can find plates that screw on over the existing switch that will lock it on or off.

Reply to
Dave Houston

This can be done very simply using an ELK Magic Module. Program the HomeLink to send any unneeded X10-ON command. Program the MM440 so that each time it receives that X10 signal it checks a flag. If the flag is set, unset it and send an X10-OFF command to the porch light's X10 module. If the flag is unset, set it and send an X10-ON command to the module.

Also, if the X10-ON command for the module is received (i.e., something else turned it on), set the flag and do no more. If an X10-OFF command for the module is received, unset the flag and do no more.

This will allow the MM440 to track the porch light status accurately with only one exception. If the light is turned on or off manually the MM440 won't know it. In that event the next time someone presses the HomeLink button it will *appear* not to work. They can then push the button again and the lamp will change states and the system will be in synch.

I'm sure the same can be accomplished using the Applied Digital module. I sell ELK Products online so I'm inclined to mention them first. Here's a link (my website) to the MM440 in case anyone's interested:

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Heh, that's like comparing horse shit to elephant shit. They both stink the same.

Reply to
wkearney99

|I don't know anything about this x10 stuff. What I want is to be able to |turn on the porch light with a keychain remote. Do I have to buy a whole |system or is there something I can buy to just hook up to the porch light? | | I don't pretend to know how any of this stuff works, but wouldn't an RF wall switch like the kind made by Leviton do the job?

Reply to
DavidB

It would do the job

Radio-Shack also sells X-10 mini-systems that work fine for the job

"DavidB" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net...

Reply to
WebMaster

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.