Incandescent light ban / Z wave buying decision

Anyone see this:

formatting link
I was thinking of buying zwave switches for my house but I don't want to invest $2,000 in switches that will be useless if incandescent bulbs are banned. CFL lights cannot be dimmed without special ballasts and special dimmers.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
meir410
Loading thread data ...

I suggest you ask your question in comp.home.automation. There's been a lively discussion there on the merits of CFLs and one of the most strident proponents of them is also a dealer selling Z-Wave.

The article is inaccurate in that incandescent bulbs are not banned outright (not even in Australia, I'm not sure about Canada.) but are required to meet the increased efficiency standards by the dates indicated. GE had earlier announced that they will have high efficiency incandescents available to meet the new limits.

There were more >Anyone see this:

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

There's no need to worry. Incandescents will simply need to become more efficient to meet the standard. A headline that says, "Light Bulbs To Be Outlawed" draws more attention than one that says, "Light Bulbs Required To Be More Efficient".

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Canada talked about it and then it disappeared from the news a few months back.

formatting link

Reply to
John J. Bengii

with faith than we are, and that, on the other hand, we may fall into the blindness wherein they are, we must do for them what we would they should do for us if we were in their place, and call upon them to have pity upon themselves, and to take at least some steps in the endeavour to find light. Let them give to reading this some of the hours which they otherwise employ so uselessly; whatever aversion they may bring to the task, they will perhaps gain something, and at least will not lose much. But as for those who bring to the task perfect sincerity and a real desire to meet with truth, those I hope will be satisfied and convinced of the proofs of a religion so divine, which I have here collected, and in which I have followed somewhat after this order...

195. Before entering into the proofs of the Christian religion, I find it necessary to point out the sinfulness of those men who live in indifference to the search for truth in a matter which is so important to them, and which touches them so nearly.

Of all their errors, this doubtless is the one which most convicts them of foolis

Reply to
John J. Bengii

was accordingly done, and the notion complied with throughout the town. But parents found little or no occasion for the exercise of government in the case. The young people declared themselves convinced by what they had heard from the pulpit, and were willing of themselves to comply with the counsel that had been given: and it was immediately, and, I suppose, almost universally, complied with; and there was a thorough reformation of these disorders thenceforward, which has continued ever since.

Presently after this, there began to appear a remarkable religious concern at a little village belonging to the congregation called Pascommuck, where a few families were settled, at about three miles distance from the main body of the town. At this place, a number of persons seemed to be savingly wrought upon. In the April following, anno

1734, there happened a very sudden and awful death of a young man in the bloom of his youth; who being violently seized with a pleurisy, and taken immediately very delirious, died in about two days; which (together with what was preached publicly on that occasion) much affected many young people. This was followed with another death of a young married woman, who had been considerably exercised in mind, about the salvation of her soul, before sh
Reply to
meir410
313. Sound opinions of the people.--Civil wars are the greatest of evils. They are inevitable, if we wish to reward desert; for all will say they are deserving. The evil we have to fear from a fool who succeeds by right of birth, is neither so great nor so sure.

314. God has created all for Himself. He has bestowed upon Himself the power of pain and pleasure.

You can apply it to God, or to yourself. If to God, the Gospel is the rule. If to yourself, you will take the place of God. As God is surrounded by persons full of charity, who ask of Him the blessings of charity that are in His power, so... recognise, then, and learn that you are only a king of lust, and take the ways of lust.

315. The reason of effects.--It is wonderful that men would not have me honour a man clothed in brocade and followed by seven or eight lackeys! Why! He will have me thrashed, if I do not salute him. This custom is a farce. It is the same with a horse in fine trappings in comparison with another! Montaigne is a fool not to see what difference there is, to wonder at our finding any, and to ask the reason. "Indeed," says he, "how comes it," etc....

316. Sound opinions of the people.--To be spruce is not altogether foolish, for it proves that a great number of people work for one. It shows by one's hair, that one has a valet

Reply to
Robert L Bass

many false miracles, false revelations, sorceries, etc., it has seemed to me that the true cause is that there are some true; for it would not be possible that there should be so many false miracles, if there were none true, nor so many false revelations, if there were none true, nor so many false religions, if there were not one true. For if there had never been all this, it is almost impossible that men should have imagined it, and still more impossible that so many others should have believed it. But as there have been very great things true, and as they have been believed by great men, this impression has been the cause that nearly everybody is rendered capable of believing also the false. And thus, instead of concluding that there are no true miracles, since there are so many false, it must be said, on the contrary, that there are true miracles, since there are so many false; and that there are false ones only because there are true; and that in the same way there are false religions because there is one true.--Objection to this: savages have a religion. But this is because they have heard the true spoken of, as appears by the cross of Saint Andrew, the Deluge, circumcision, etc. This arises from the fact that the human mind,

Reply to
Dave Houston

So just go with the Z-Wave relay switches. I use them for all my installations and am very happy with them. I was doing a whole house installation for a client and I really started to think about switches and why I want to go with dimmers. I didn't find many instances where I'd necessarily want dimmers. Dining room maybe, or a home theatre room, but, really, WHERE ELSE? So I got two dimmers and a bunch of relay swithes and it all works great.

Tim

Reply to
T. C. Conde

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.