X10 Problems

X10 Issues - am I the only one? I recently Purchased some items from X10, as I went to use them I ran into various shortcommings.

1- When using the ActiveHome Professional Kit Part# CM15A-SP-ISSO and the software that was made available on their web ( they forgot to send it to me), it seemed easy to program however, the s/w continued to hang my Media Center Edition SP2 OS. 2- When trying to use the Socket Rocket Smart Screw in Lamp Module, they failed to list on the instructions you needed to program this seperately prior to trying to use the item from #1 above. Later this was sucessfully programmed with a code to activate the device.

Ok, so now I have a s/w package and device to remotely control the Rocket Sockets and the ability to program the Rocket Sockets - time to use the sensors.

3- I purchased multiple ActiveEye Motion sensors. They are wireless and simply take 2 AAA batteries. I placed 1 then 2 then 3 of them on my back porch with different zones or angles between them and tested their range before the motion would set them off. Great the seemed to work, I had them simply activate a lamp with an X10 Power House Transceiver Module (TM751). This allowed me to test the sensor with a visual feedback of the lamp on/off. All seemed well, Again,I placed it on the rear porch with the other two sensors - each with their own area of coverage. Then over the next few days I experienced the following problem. Wind would set off the motion sensor. More over, two sensors would be activated and the lamp would continue to stay on ( it seemed as if the Transceiver got confused), I also have an X10 Manual Remote Control CR12A and I would have to use this to turn off the lamp. After a day or so of this problem, I defaulted to only using 1 sensor on the rear porch.

4- Final Straw, after approximately 2 weeks of using the single sensor with the lamp and fewer problems with the lamp being left in the on state - I noticed I would walk by the motion sensor and it would not activate the lamp. I would have to place my hand within a few inches to activate the sensor. I concluded the cause for this was the batteries. Note I live in Tucson - so it should not be the cold weather or else these would have an extremely limited area of utility in the US. And if the battery life is less than 2 weeks - I have no use for the entire set of items.

Comments welcome. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck
Loading thread data ...

My wireless MS13A unit's batteries typically last almost two years or more.

I have about 15 of these units. Some are really flakey and some are fairly consistent. The nasty part of the whole thing is the wireless plug-in receievers. They broadcast "all lights on" code every month or so. I have four of these units so I know it isn't just one flakey unit. I come home with all the lights on from time to time under each house code in usage.

On a few occasions I have founbd the system locks up also. This is due to the wireless receievers flooding the powerlines with noise. Unplugging them and back in again resets the units and away they go just fine for another few months.

I thought I could economize on electrcial energy usage but have found with so many unit left on all night from time to time, I doubt the economy is happenning. I have many macros to turn everything off about

3 times per day as the system cannot be trusted. The outside motion detectors PR-511 frequently get turned on and will not turn off without sending an X10 code from another unit.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

That sounds very much like the "endless dim syndrome" I mentioned earlier. This seems to be mostly a function of the household wiring. Some have resolved it by changing the location of the transceiver or changing the orientation of the antenna. Some have never found a cure.

I can >On a few occasions I have founbd the system locks up also. This is due

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

These units hang up and will not stop transmitting until unplugged completely. There are no cords in proximity to the vertical antennae (save the 14/2 in the wall).

Does this sound like the same problem? Will it stop by just reorienting the antenna or does it take powering down? I got rid of the offending units (or was it two now?) and it hasn't done it for a few years now.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

to be cut off, or it would lose its character as member! For every member must be quite willing to perish for the body, for which alone the whole is.

477. It is false that we are worthy of the love of others; it is unfair that we should desire it. If we were born reasonable and impartial, knowing ourselves and others, we should not give this bias to our will. However, we are born with it; therefore born unjust, for all tends to self. This is contrary to all order. We must consider the general good; and the propensity to self is the beginning of all disorder, in war, in politics, in economy, and in the particular body of man. The will is therefore depraved.

If the members of natural and civil communities tend towards the weal of the body, the communities themselves ought to look to another more general body of which they are members. We ought, therefore, to look to the whole. We are, therefore, born unjust and depraved.

478. When we want to think of God, is there nothing which turns us away, and tempts us to think of something else? All this is bad, and is born in us.

479. If

Reply to
John J. Bengii

has a double meaning, one clear and one in which it is said that the meaning is hidden.

678. Types.--A portrait conveys absence and presence, pleasure and pain. The reality excludes absence and pain.

To know if the law and the sacrifices are a reality or a type, we must see if the prophets, in speaking of these things, confined their view and their thought to them, so that they saw only the old covenant; or if they saw therein something else of which they were the representation, for in a portrait we see the thing figured. For this we need only examine what they say of them.

When they say that it will be eternal, do they mean to speak of that covenant which they say will be changed; and so of the sacrifices, etc.?

A cipher has two meanings. When we find out an important letter in which we discover a clear meaning, and in which it is nevertheless said that the meaning is veiled and obscure, that it is hidden, so that we might read the letter without seeing it, and interpret it without understanding it, what must we think but that here is a cipher with a double meaning, and the more

Reply to
John J. Bengii

nature has placed him. As this sphere which has fallen to us as our lot is always distant from either extreme, what matters it that man should have a little more knowledge of the universe? If he has it, he but gets a little higher. Is he not always infinitely removed from the end, and is not the duration of our life equally removed from eternity, even if it lasts ten years longer?

In comparison with these Infinites, all finites are equal, and I see no reason for fixing our imagination on one more than on another. The only comparison which we make of ourselves to the finite is painful to us.

If man made himself the first object of study, he would see how incapable he is of going further. How can a part know the whole? But he may perhaps aspire to know at least the parts to which he bears some proportion. But the parts of the world are all so related and linked to one another that I believe it impossible to know one without the other and without the whole.

Man, for instance, is related to all he knows. He needs a place wherein to abide, time through which to live, motion in order to live, elements to compose him, warmth and food to nourish him, air to breathe. He sees light; he feels bodies; in short, he is in a dependent alliance with everything. To know man, then, it is necessary to know how it happens that he needs air to live, and, to know the air, we must know how it is thus related to the life of man, etc. Flame cannot exist without air; therefore, to understand the one, we must understand the other.

Since everything, then, is cause and effect, dependent and supporting, mediate and immediate, and all is held together by a natural though imperceptible chain which binds together things most distant and most different, I hold it equally impossible to know the parts without knowing the whole and to know the whole without knowing the parts in detail.

The eternity of things in itself or in God must also astonish our brief dura

Reply to
Dave Houston

and wants. He wants to be great, and he sees himself small. He wants to be happy, and he sees himself miserable. He wants to be perfect, and he sees himself full of imperfections. He wants to be the object of love and esteem among men, and he sees that his faults merit only their hatred and contempt. This embarrassment in which he finds himself produces in him the most unrighteous and criminal passion that can be imagined; for he conceives a mortal enmity against that truth which reproves him and which convinces him of his faults. He would annihilate it, but, unable to destroy it in its essence, he destroys it as far as possible in his own knowledge and in that of others; that is to say, he devotes all his attention to hiding his faults both from others and from himself, and he cannot endure either that others should point them out to him, or that they should see them.

Truly it is an evil to be full of faults; but it is a still greater evil to be full of them and to be unwilling to recognise them, since that is to add the further fault of a voluntary illusion. We do not like others to deceive us; we do not think it fair that they should be held in higher esteem by us than they deserve; it is not, then, fair that we should deceive them and should wish them to esteem us more highly than we deserve.

Thus, when they discover only the imperfections and vices which we really have, it is plain they do us no wrong, since it is not they who cause them; they rather do us good, since they help us to free ourselves from an evil, namely, the ignorance of these imperfections. We ought not to be angry at their knowing our faults and despising us; it is but right that they should know us for what we are and should despise us, if we are contemptible.

Such are the feelings that would arise in a heart full of equity and justice. What m

Reply to
Dave Houston

X-10 has always has issues, there are many patches and work arounds, InSteon being one of those. Look at the two-way communicating technologies either RF or UPB, you will find it much more reliable and flexible.

The arguement I get from diehard X-10 users is cost. To that I simply say, you get what you pay for.

Reply to
Puddintain

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.