Router suggestions for home DSL

I'm about to get DSL installed at my home and I'm looking for some information and/or suggestions about a router in the $50 range to use to share the connection.

I currently have two Windows XPPC's, linked together with CAT5 wiring and a 10/100 switch. The DSL provider is supplying the modem, and I'm planning to get a router to add security, DHCP, etc., as well as provide wireless 802.11g capability for some future use.

As fas as access, the one main PC will pretty much have full connection to the outside, but I'd like to limit the second PC to just certain sites. I don't want to get into using a monthly service, and I'm trying to avoid software based solutions on the PC. What I'd like is the ability in the router to block all sites except for certain ones (preferably by URL)

Most of the common broadband routers from Linksys, Dlink, Belkin, etc., will do what I'm looking for, except I'm not sure about how they handle blocking. From the information I've found on the net, it looks like Linksys lets you specify blocking by ports & time, and Dlink uses a service for their parental controls.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Mike O.

Reply to
mso999
Loading thread data ...

I'd recommend 2Wire HomePortal modem/router solution... Single box will give you DSL modem with excellent firewall features as well as wireless routing (802.11g) functions... Working for major US DSL ISP, I've seen way too many issues between standard DSL modems and 3rd party routers... If you decide to take that path, I'd recommend getting DSL bridge (SpeedStreams 5260,5360 or 5100a) without built in NAT/PPPoE connected to Linksys router...

Good Luck...

Reply to
Broadband Techie

The DSL modem supplied by the provider (at no charge) is a Speedstream

5100. Since I already have that unit, going with a combo modem/router or DSL bridge isn't really an option.

- Mike

Broadband Techie wrote:

connection

Reply to
mso999

There is a way turning your 5100b into a bridge...

Access modems gui at 192.168.0.1, go to Advanced->PPPoE Location and the last option down at the bottom is "bridged mode"....Save changes/restart modem and you got yourself a bridge....

Reply to
Broadband Techie

Apparently I wasn't thinking earlier; I didn't read your post properly. I thought you were suggesting dropping the 5100 and replacing it with a combination DSL modem/router.

I was looking at some info on DSLreports and saw some docs about different ways of attaching a router. Setting the modem as a bridge was one, but the document said something to the effect that the more recent, more common (and better) way was to not set the modem as a bridge, let it handle the PPPoE connection, use a static IP between the modem and router, and use the router as the DHCP,etc. for the workstation(s). It sounds like that may help security (multiple NAT), but does that incur an performance issues?

Also, I believe I read somewhere that Linksys has dropped the stateful packet inspection options from it's recent firmware. Is that any big issue?

Thanks.

-Mike O.

Broadband Techie wrote:

changes/restart

Speedstream

modem/router

between

Belkin,

Reply to
mso999

From my experience it will cause alot of problems, especially with 5100b. It's never good idea to do more than 1 NAT... Works fine for standard browsing but once you install some kind of file sharing program that uses non standard UDP/TCP ports you'll start having problems... Not sure if this is solely problem of multiple NATs or MTU setting mismatch of some kind but it's very very common problem... Good Luck...

Reply to
Broadband Techie

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to need the luck, the DSL service was supposed to be activated today (4/8), but still no DSL connection. I called the support number and the automatic status says that "it's not activated yet, but will be completed sometime today". This is at 11:30pm. I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow..

While I have your attention, do you have any opinions on the SMC

2804WBR Barracade routers? The specs and documentation look good, and currently the local Micro Center is running a special at $59.95, with a $50 rebate. I saw some negative reports on some other SMC routers, but I figure for $10 it's hard to pass up.

Thanks. Mike O.

Broadband Techie wrote:

properly.

bridge

stateful

wireless

modem,

certain

Reply to
mso999

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.