PPPoA and bridging DSL modems

Hi,

Do you know if it is possible to bridge a modem doing PPPoA to a router that supports PPPoE? Will the modem pass the authentication information along?

I will be working with an Actiontec GT701-wg DSL modem and a Sonicwall TZ170. The Sonicwall can do PPPoE but the DSL account will be DHCP and PPPoA. I want the Sonicwall's external interface to be assigned the public IP. Is this doable?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
dave
Loading thread data ...

A better question might be can I put the modem in bridged mode, have the modem do PPPoA and the firewall receive the dynamic IP?

Thanks.

Reply to
dave

snipped-for-privacy@berryhillsoftware.com wrote on 2/16/2006 1:07 AM:

You cannot bridge oA to any router. What you can do is use the oA on the Actiontec and then tie off to the Sonicwall WAN port with no NAT. Set up rules as appropriate.

Unless this is a business, that is overkill. Are you hosting any servers? If not, just use NAT. Any hacker would have to hack your WAN management on the Actiontec (if there is any) in order to gain access. Your biggest security hole is when you start hosting servers and allowing people access to internal resources.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I need to create a VPN between a bookmobile and a library. The bookmobile makes stops at various locations. Half of the locations will get DSL from one provider and half from another. I'm using the SonicWall to create the VPN. I want to be as sure as possible that the SonicWall will be able to build the VPN. I'm pretty sure if I use aggressive mode on the VPN that all will be well. We want to minimize setup by the bookmobile staff. Ideally they would just swap out DSL modems and power up the sonicwall. A few pings of the server should rebuild the VPN. Hopefully....

Reply to
dave

snipped-for-privacy@berryhillsoftware.com wrote on 2/16/2006 8:37 PM:

Aggressive mode is difficult through a NAT router. Sonicwall may have a way of doing it by now.

There are also IKE keep alives you could look into.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.