Dropped Phone Calls w/ ATT/SBC Yahoo DSL

Well, I'm a new user to SBC Yahoo DSL here in Dallas area. Previously, Comcast broadband user with wired and wireless home system network with all bugs worked out.

So, decided to run Cat5 from NID. No problems. Didn't have a DSL splitter, so in the meantime am using the provided DSL/Phone filter at the NID (utilizing test jack). Am having 0 problems with DSL speed and consistency. Never wavers or drops. Seems very consistent and strong. Did it this way to bypass alarm and to maintain better signal and throughput. Using Siemens 4100 modem.

But....I am having a weird problem. If 1 or 2 of my wireless laptops (have 3 laptops (all wireless) and 1 desktop) are running and a phone call comes in, invariably the phone call will drop (could be within 1 minute, or 10 minutes), and the DSL signal doesn't fluctuate. Modem lights stay consistent and don't waver either. Funny thing, I can't reproduce it....it is very random.

Was hoping maybe someone could comment on the dropped phones calls. The only thing I've found on the net are issues with the DSL signal dropping, but have found nothing regarding DSL staying up and phone dropping.

Thank you to all who respond.

Chuck

Reply to
cwherb
Loading thread data ...

Get a real splitter. In the meantime, try two filters in series on the phone line.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Try another phone.

Some phones that require wall power will create very slight ground current situations that can warp the DSL signal. Other phones just don't follow the spec or have drifted out of spec over the years.

If you have more than one phone in the house, unplug all but one at a time and test.

Reply to
DLR

Thanks everyone for the responses....

I definitely will get a real splitter and will also try out a different phone..

Thanks again..

Reply to
cwherb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.