Wireless Router loss it's wireless ?

Hey all,

First off, I appreciate everyone whose reading this and hopefully someone can help me solve this problem. I phoned 1-888-NETGEAR and they won't let me talk to them because my warranty was over ... how dumb !!

Anyways, I think my Netgear MR814 V1 Wireless Router loss it's wireless. It has been up and running perfectly fine for ~3 years now and all of my devices detected it and worked perfectly wirelessly. However, recently... my other machines and devices don't seem to detect my router anymore in windows and in netstumbler. Instead, some of my machines that are within range do detect my neighbors. However, the computer that are hardwired to the router work perfectly fine. This is very annoying Ö

I've done the following so far ... yet I still have the problem

- Resetted router ~> held reset button for a minute: while still on

30s/unplugged 30s/plugged back in 30s

- Resetted router back to factory settings ~> in router 192.168.0.1 config

- Tried reflashing to all previous firmwares

- Unscrewed the antenna and screwed it back in (When I shake the antenna, I do hear sounds)

- Uninstalled WinXP SP2

- Cleaned install Windows on another partition

- - - -

Gosh, I don't know what else I can do. Any suggestion guys ? Or should I ditch the router and just buy another one? Which would really **** because I rather spend the money on something else as I am on a tight budget.

If that is the case, could anyone recommend me a fairly decent 802.11b router that has amazing range? Also, does anyone happen to have one lying around they could sell to me or even give away (c'mon guys it's christmas heeh ^^

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Also, have a merry christmas everyone !!

Best regards, TRUFFLES

Reply to
Truffles
Loading thread data ...

Unfortunately, the consumer wireless companies view wireless hardware as disposable with a life expectancy about equal to the warranty period. The answer is to toss the thing and go get another.

My D-Link was DOA -- intermittent RF operation though the "wired" part worked OK. Many, many calls and emails later, they finally issued me an RMA and gave me a direct email address to communicate with an individual Customer Service rep. Great! The problem? The email bounces.

Hint -- hint. I gave up and bought another router and it has been working just fine, but I've budgeted for its replacement because the warranty is about to expire.

Reply to
Zippy the Pinhead

You've probably already done this, but.....if you use windows XP to

control your wireless networking, check to see if your network is

listed in the "preferred" section of your wireless LAN connection.

Also check to see whether or not you have a checkmark in the box next

to the words "automatically connect to nonpreferred networks". If so,

uncheck it. Furthermore, change the status from connecting to ANY

device to a preferred device. Lastly, make sure that wireless is

enabled in your wireless router's configuration menu.

Reply to
doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.