Verizon DSL comes with "free wireless" - details?

According to their web site, the higher speed DSL service comes with "free wireless". No other details are on the site. I haven't been able to get anything more from Verizon sales other than "it will let you access the internet from up to 4 computer". Their tech support does say it is b/g compatible. I presume it is an access point, but no one at the other end knew that term when I asked if it was.

Anyone here actually have this from Verizon? I'd like to find out what type it is. Is it worth using theirs (presumably on a lease basis) or buying your own (my intention is to get a WRT54GL which I could customize the programming of).

Reply to
phil-news-nospam
Loading thread data ...

Verizon in NYC was giving away a linksys 4 port b/g WiFi dsl router for awhile. It was free. Nothing to lose if it doesn't do what you want.

Reply to
Al Dykes

In SW PA it's a Westel 327W. IIRC they also offered a wireless option for the $14.95 plan for a one time charge of $19.95.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Peters

Its usually a Westel 327w which is a DSL modem, ethernet switch and AP.

Reply to
George

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:53:42 -0400 George wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> According to their web site, the higher speed DSL service comes with |> "free wireless". No other details are on the site. I haven't been |> able to get anything more from Verizon sales other than "it will let |> you access the internet from up to 4 computer". Their tech support |> does say it is b/g compatible. I presume it is an access point, but |> no one at the other end knew that term when I asked if it was. |> |> Anyone here actually have this from Verizon? I'd like to find out |> what type it is. Is it worth using theirs (presumably on a lease |> basis) or buying your own (my intention is to get a WRT54GL which I |> could customize the programming of). |> | | Its usually a Westel 327w which is a DSL modem, ethernet switch and AP.

Can it be configured in such a way as to export the PPPoE stream to another router, thus behaving exactly as a modem-only device? Or do I need to press Verizon to provide a modem instead of this box, if I decide to sign up with their service.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On 13 Sep 2006 07:05:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrotd:

Most of the modern Westells, ones that aren't WAPs, can be easilt put into BRIDGE mode, allowing previous routers to manage the PPOE streams. BUt when the bridges router also has a WAP in its midst, that pass-thru function becomes very difficult... the WAP in almost all cases is also a router (for obvious purposes). I don't think the WAP, the router function and the modem are all configurable separately... especiall separating the router function from the WAP.

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:01:30 -0400 Froggie the Gremlin wrote: | On 13 Sep 2006 07:05:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrotd: | |>On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:53:42 -0400 George wrote: |>| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |>|> According to their web site, the higher speed DSL service comes with |>|> "free wireless". No other details are on the site. I haven't been |>|> able to get anything more from Verizon sales other than "it will let |>|> you access the internet from up to 4 computer". Their tech support |>|> does say it is b/g compatible. I presume it is an access point, but |>|> no one at the other end knew that term when I asked if it was. |>|> |>|> Anyone here actually have this from Verizon? I'd like to find out |>|> what type it is. Is it worth using theirs (presumably on a lease |>|> basis) or buying your own (my intention is to get a WRT54GL which I |>|> could customize the programming of). |>|> |>| |>| Its usually a Westel 327w which is a DSL modem, ethernet switch and AP. |>

|>Can it be configured in such a way as to export the PPPoE stream to |>another router, thus behaving exactly as a modem-only device? Or do |>I need to press Verizon to provide a modem instead of this box, if I |>decide to sign up with their service. | | Most of the modern Westells, ones that aren't WAPs, can be easilt put into | BRIDGE mode, allowing previous routers to manage the PPOE streams. BUt when | the bridges router also has a WAP in its midst, that pass-thru function | becomes very difficult... the WAP in almost all cases is also a router (for | obvious purposes). I don't think the WAP, the router function and the modem | are all configurable separately... especiall separating the router function | from the WAP.

It looks like WRT54GL+OpenWRT is needed in at least one of these cases.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

I recently tinkered with one on a new install to enable the WAP after I put it into bridge mode but couldn't get it to work. The sheets that came with it allege that it is possible implying that the NAT router would somehow be used for only the WAP. The router setting choices seemed to agree with the writeup. We didn't need or want the WAP so I disabled the radio.

Reply to
George

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.