Wireless bridge talking to 2 other devices?

I already have a wireless bridge with a Senao chipset (but no brand on the box itself ... chipset presumed from MAC address). It is b-only and works fine with the Netgear access-point routers I once tried out, and works fine with my printer (HP 6980 has built in wireless).

I didn't actually test to see if the bridge would talk _simultaneously_ with the access point _and_ the printer at the same time. I've since taken the Netgear boxes back (and got all my money back).

The bridge is attached to the switch handling my LAN. If it will work talking to two things at the same time, I will use it to communicate with the printer, as well as use it to communicate with the wireless router I do end up getting (maybe WRT54GL or maybe what the DSL provider includes in the package).

Possibly the bridge could fail to talk to two devices at the same time just because it is badly designed. But what I'd like to know is if there is any hope. The big question --> is there anything inherint in the standard that would make a bridge ONLY talk to ONE other wireless device at a time (e.g. limited to one session, for example)?

Again, it did work fine talking to the router (which was an access point though Netgear never divulged that). It does work fine talking to this printer. But I never tested having it do both at the same time.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Phil,

I'll probably get > I already have a wireless bridge with a Senao chipset (but no brand on

If your senao-chip bridge behaves as mine (a Senao 2611CB3 Plus Deluxe), it must associate a certain SSID to talk. In the open ("any"

- meaning, none specified) mode, it will go to the strongest signal. In a specified one, it will attempt to associate the SSID entered.

time. No doubt others will have more generically (not senao but in general) accurate information to share...

L8R

Skip

Reply to
Skip - Working on the boat

Hi, Phil,

I'll probably get > I already have a wireless bridge with a Senao chipset (but no brand on

If your senao-chip bridge behaves as mine (a Senao 2611CB3 Plus Deluxe), it must associate a certain SSID to talk. In the open ("any"

- meaning, none specified) mode, it will go to the strongest signal. In a specified one, it will attempt to associate the SSID entered.

time. No doubt others will have more generically (not senao but in general) accurate information to share...

L8R

Skip

Reply to

Hi, Phil,

L8R

Skip

Reply to

Well, the trouble I'd envisioned wasn't due to my triple posting.

I have no clue why/how that happened, and I hereby submit to twenty lashes with expired cat5 for the bandwidth wasting...

L8R

Skip

Reply to

"Skip - Working on the boat" hath wroth:

Close, but not quite right. What SSID=ANY does is select the first available connection. I suspect it's alphabetical or random, but not by strongest signal. However, if you ever lose the signal, or fade away temporarily, it will not automagically reconnect to the same access point. Instead, it will again merrily look for any available connection.

Actually, it is possible to do point to multipoint bridging (i.e more than one MAC address) with some radios. I'm not familar with the

2611CB3 can therefore have no clue if it will do this. It's a common feature in most access points, but not in most wireless routers. For example, the DWL-900AP+ will do Point to Multipoint Bridging:
formatting link
As for posting the same article 3 times, I've seen Ouchlook Express do that, but not tin. It's usually because the internet connection is flakey and NNTP doesn't bother acknowledging that it has successfully posted something. So, at the next opertunity, it starts over and tries again. My record is about 15 duplicate postings over a flakey Metricom/Ricochet link.

As for the CAT5 lashing, I suggest you try setting fire to a piece of CAT5 for entertainment value. Especially try the stiff plenum rated cable. Lots of fun and tends to appease the net gods.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

| "Skip - Working on the boat" hath wroth: | |>From that, I infer that your bridge will talk to only one item at a |>time. No doubt others will have more generically (not senao but in |>general) accurate information to share... | | Actually, it is possible to do point to multipoint bridging (i.e more | than one MAC address) with some radios. I'm not familar with the | 2611CB3 can therefore have no clue if it will do this. It's a common | feature in most access points, but not in most wireless routers. For | example, the DWL-900AP+ will do Point to Multipoint Bridging: |

formatting link
I'm guessing I'll be better off getting a modem, instead of that wireless router, from Verizon, and connecting the modem to the wireless bridge at the location where the phone line comes in. Then put a wireless router and access point on my LAN so I can talk to the modem and my printer at the same time. Then the trick will be getting that PPPoE stream coming out of the modem to one of my Linux machines. But unless the router can also allow a purely bridged connection, it won't pass the PPPoE on to a Linux machine. Of course, if the router were smart enough to handle PPPoE over the wireless link, that could work. But my guess is they are designed to only do PPPoE over the RJ45 port labeled "WAN" (and not even allow it over the ports labeled "LAN").

So I'm still probably back to having to use a pair of hacked WRT54GL's to run a wireless distribution mesh.

| As for posting the same article 3 times, I've seen Ouchlook Express do | that, but not tin. It's usually because the internet connection is | flakey and NNTP doesn't bother acknowledging that it has successfully | posted something. So, at the next opertunity, it starts over and | tries again. My record is about 15 duplicate postings over a flakey | Metricom/Ricochet link.

Oooh. You even beat my record of 12.

| As for the CAT5 lashing, I suggest you try setting fire to a piece of | CAT5 for entertainment value. Especially try the stiff plenum rated | cable. Lots of fun and tends to appease the net gods.

My kind of entertainment would be to see how long CAT5 stands up to a

20 kA fault current. Be sure to bring the welder's suit and mask. :-)
Reply to
phil-news-nospam

It's limited by the NNTP ISP's spam filter. They test for duplicates and drop anything over a specified number of identical postings. At the time, Supernews had no limit so I was able to send 15. Other service prividers were also running without limits resulting in some postings being duplicate almost 100 times. However, as limits were applied, the duplicates became less prevalent. I think Newsguy drops anything after 5 duplicates. SBC/PBI/AT&T/Prodigy is 3 duplicates maximum. No clue on the others.

Try the CAT5 flame test. Especially with plenum rated cable. I think you'll be suprised. Ummmm.... do it ouside.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:09:19 GMT Jeff Liebermann wrote: | On 13 Sep 2006 07:18:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: | |>| My record is about 15 duplicate postings over a flakey |>| Metricom/Ricochet link. |>

|>Oooh. You even beat my record of 12. | | It's limited by the NNTP ISP's spam filter. They test for duplicates | and drop anything over a specified number of identical postings. At | the time, Supernews had no limit so I was able to send 15. Other | service prividers were also running without limits resulting in some | postings being duplicate almost 100 times. However, as limits were | applied, the duplicates became less prevalent. I think Newsguy drops | anything after 5 duplicates. SBC/PBI/AT&T/Prodigy is 3 duplicates | maximum. No clue on the others.

My record of 12 was back when I used Netcom. I've been quite happy with Newsguy.

| Try the CAT5 flame test. Especially with plenum rated cable. I think | you'll be suprised. Ummmm.... do it ouside.

Of course, outside ... and well away from combustable materials and small children.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.