Unable to connect to remote computer

I have Win XP Pro on SP1 on my desktop and XP Home SP2 on my laptop. My laptop can see the shared files on my desktop through my DLINK Wireless router but cannot access them. I receive an error message saying that I may not have rights to the shared drive and also that there is not enough server storage to process the command. However, my desktop can see and access the drives on my laptop without any problem.

I went to the registry and performed the fix to create the IRPSTACKSIZE as indicated in MS Knowledge Base Q1777078 and I still cannot access the drive.

I have disabled Zonealarm on both computers and even disabled AVG Antivirus.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam
Loading thread data ...

Hi, see if this info will help you...

formatting link
Robert...

Reply to
DLink Guru

Thanks for the link Robert.

I went onto pinging by IP. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong but I am following the instructions in step A by typing: "ping 10.0.0.0.25" and I received "request time out". What is 10.0.0.0.25?? Or am I suppose to ping my own computer's IP? If so, that is not clear. I also have disabled XP firewall , so I doubt that is the culprit.

Reply to
Blondee_yvr

Have you ran the wireless network setup wizard on your desktop? Dont worry about the laptop, its not the problem. The desktop is stopping the access. Also, have you shared the drive on the desktop? Right click on the drive in My Computer and goto the Sharing and security option and go through that wizard.

As far as doing the ping, it wants you to try and ping the Desktop IP from the Laptop. Also in your origional message you said you have Zone Alarm and disabled it. I have seen many times disabling a 3rd party firewall does not work always. Sometimes you have to uninstall it and reinstall it after having a network connection. Why? I cant answer that, it just is sometimes.

Robert....

Reply to
DLink Guru

Yes to both, I just did and followed the instructions. Now BOTH computers don't see each other. I will attempt a system restore on my laptop to obtain my original settings, at least it will be partial. :-(

I ran ipconfig /all and my desktop's node name is UNKNOWN.

Reply to
Sam

I said only work on the desktop, the laptop has no problem........

Reply to
DLink Guru

I know, I just followed the instructions of XP. Now, after system restore, my desktop can read the laptop but not the other way around. I am back to square one. Could the fact that my node's name on my PC say UNKNOWN have anything to do with it? The shared files are selected as far as XP Security and I am using NTFS. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Sam

Never mind....I figured it out. I had to increase the IRPstack size to 25 and now it works. Norton Ghost was the culprit.

Reply to
Sam

Yes, the extra "0" was a typo. The link and directions on the site didn't bother to mention to enter your own IP address ie. ping your own IP address.

Reply to
Sam

"10.0.0.0.25" is wrong. I don't know what the instructions were, but IP addresses only have 4 "octets" and that has 5. Is that a typo?

Cheers,

Cliff

Reply to
Enkidu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.