VPN unable to connect to corporate anymore

I am getting an error 721: The remote computer did not respond when I try to connect to my company computer through my VPN. I have a comcast gateway and they said as long as I can surf the web, it is not their problem. The IT guys at the company say it is a firewall problem with comcast and they need to disable the firewall, meanwhile I am unable to work. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Please help...

Reply to
member997
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:143$1388877$4982410$ snipped-for-privacy@sysadminforum.com:

It sounds like the GRE protocol (47) is not enabled or that the firewall on the router is blocking port 1723 and/or port 500.

Last I heard Comcast did not impede GRE protocol or either of those ports.

If you are using a Linksys WRT then you are not alone. When this problem has come up it usually happened after a router firmware upgrade. The normal "fix" was to disable the internal firewall and then fiddle with it until it did what it is supposed to.

Hope that may be of some help.

mungo

------ The backhoe is the natural predator of the fiber optic cable.

Reply to
Mungo

You got a router or personal FW in play?

Duane :)

Reply to
K-Man hater Duane

Oops, I used the wrong NG client.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I have a router, but the firewall was disabled by comcast supposidly.

Reply to
member997

If you have a router, did you purchase it?

If you have a DSL or CABLE modem, then you might have NAT or a public IP address, as those are not firewalls, but sometimes called firewalls.

If you have a public IP you might want to purchase your OWN NAT Router in order to protect your network.

Reply to
Leythos

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:143$1388877$4990740$ snipped-for-privacy@sysadminforum.com:

Is the router you speak of a stand alone item (separate from your cable modem)? If so, what is the brand and who configured it?

If it came as part of a Comcastic promo package, do you have access to the web interface and if so have you checked to make sure that the GRE protocol was not disabled by default?

Reply to
Mungo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.