Tp-Link Wireless Router not working

I am connecting to the internet thru LAN in the buildign I live in. I have only one socket working, so I want to make a wireless connection. I have a Tp-Link wireless router. I plugged the cable into th working socket and the WAN port of the router. My laptop detects the router in the wireless networks (as a securit yenabled network), but I can not connect to the network nor ping the router on the IP address given in the manual (192.168.1.1). Router config on http://192.168.1.1 is not working as well. Please help me make it work. Thank you

Reply to
masia75
Loading thread data ...

On 3 Aug 2006 08:29:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

What is your IP address when connected to the LAN in your building? If something like 192.168.mmm.nnn, then your building is on a NAT/PAT router, and you'll probably need to configure your Tp-Link wireless router as a wireless access point, as described in the How To wiki below.

Since the Tp-Link wireless router has security enabled, you'll only be able to connect wirelessly with matching security. Check the user guide for how to hard reset the Tp-Link wireless router back to factory default settings. Or, if it has wired LAN port(s), try using a wired connection.

Reply to
John Navas

My Ip address starts with 194.54.xxx.x

The router has a reset button which should get it back to the factory settings but pressing it as per manual makes no difference as far as security enabled.

There are 4 LAN ports at the back of the router.

So what should I do? I am still clueless...

thank you

Reply to
masia75

On 3 Aug 2006 08:41:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Public address, so either router mode or access point mode may be OK.

Connect to a wired port, and try to access the configuration screen.

Reply to
John Navas

How to do this?

Tried this, not working

Reply to
masia75

On 3 Aug 2006 10:22:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Router mode is the standard configuration. Configuration a router as an access point is described in the How To wiki below.

What does "not working" mean _exactly_? Did your computer confirm that a cable was connected? Is your computer configured for DHCP? Did you get a DHCP address? Or did it time out and give you "limited connectivity"? Did you try manual IP configuration?

Reply to
John Navas

No

I don't know how to check this

After typin http://192.168.1.1 I get "Operation timed out"

yes, but I am not sure if I configured it right which IP address should be IP address and which the default gateway?

The problem is there is no one here with me to help me do this

Reply to
masia75

I tried this command:

%comspec% /k ipconfig /all

and I got "media disconnected" on all and no IP address

Reply to
masia75

DHCP on my laptop is enabled

Reply to
masia75

On 3 Aug 2006 11:32:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

If Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection shows "Network cable unplugged", then you've got a bad cable, or you need a different type of cable, or your hardware is dead.

Right-click for Local Area Connection; select Properties; scroll items down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and double-click it; and then make sure the two "automatically" items are selected.

See my next reply.

For general help: "How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP"

Reply to
John Navas

On 3 Aug 2006 11:55:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Good!

That means your cable isn't working or your hardware is dead. You need to fix that before anything else will work. Try a different cable. Try a different type of cable. Try a different port on the router. Make sure you're plugging into a LAN port, not the WAN port, on the router.

Reply to
John Navas

On 3 Aug 2006 12:28:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

See my prior post on getting the cable working. I'm beginning to think the Tp-Link Wireless Router might be toast.

Reply to
John Navas

Local Area Network shows ''Network Cable Unplugged'' I tried all 4 LAN ports and always the same result but when I am using the very same cable to connect directly to my laptop not the router it is working perfectly

Reply to
masia75

On 3 Aug 2006 12:50:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

With the router powered up -- right?

It may be the wrong type of cable. There are two types of Ethernet cable, "normal" and "crossover". Whichever type you have (I'm guessing crossover -- see if that's marked on the cable), you may need the other type to connect to the router (e.g., normal instead of crossover).

Reply to
John Navas

yes, the router is on

I'll try with a different type of cable thanks!

Reply to
masia75

I had to exchange the router and now the wireless connection is working. The problem is I was able to log into router setup only once, after I passed the quick setup I cant log on anymore, I am using the same login and password, they won't work, and I am positive I did not change them I tried to reset the router to the factory settings but it didn't help Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
masia75

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.