Questions about Linksys routers

Hi there,

I am running a small office networks with 10 computers. I am using Linksys WRT54G routers for NAS. I want to know is there any way I can configure the router so I can stop users from using Bittorrent programs as BT hogging the bandwidth too much??

Many thanks in advance for help!!!

Reply to
ericbb
Loading thread data ...

I don't know that router specifically, but some do have options to block known P2P services.

To be honest, the best way to deal with it is to remove all P2P applications from the client PCs and lock them down so standard users cant reinstall them. If they continue to abuse your system just block all internet access from those PCs.

In most companies it would be a disciplinary matter to mess with the computers - especially in a way that exposes your systems to obvious security risks like BitTorrent...

Reply to
Richard Parkin

What does NAS mean in this context? It's probably not Network Attached Storage...

Well, you can _not_ open holes in the firewall for them, which will starve them of bandwidth.

In a business setting, though, I'd make it a firing offense to be running BitTorrent or other well-known file-stealing programs without a justified business case and proper documentation and controls.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

You can password protect your router and remove all port forwarding that were setup by your users.

And keep the password to yourself!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
2004TL.NBP

Bittorrent will work without port forwarding.

On 6 Jul 2006 12:43:50 -0700, "2004TL.NBP" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Hi,

I don't think you will be able to completely block P2P with a consumer router, but if you run a captive portal in front of the 54G (using it as just an AP), you could put caps on the bandwidth per user. Got a spare computer collecting dust? Google "captive portal". There are quite a number of GNU/Linux based ones out there (free). Most don't even require a HDD, they run straight off a live CD. I'm using ZoneCD on an old P2 as a CP, works just fine.

Reply to
Eric

John Navas top-posted:

It will, however, not use nearly as much bandwidth as it will if the 'proper' port forwarding is configured. It's not an ideal solution, but you can starve the BT clients of bandwidth by securing the router and disabling all port forwarding and port triggering that's been set up by those users (as "2004TL.NBP" pointed out).

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:18:15 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote in :

Perhaps it depends on the client, because Azureus can still soak up about the same amount of bandwidth even with port forwarding disabled.

Reply to
John Navas

I don't know about the stock Linksys firmware, but if your wrt54g's can run dd-wrt (

formatting link
), it has QoS capabilities, including an easy to select p2p block.

Be aware that p2p blocking will likely not be 100% effective, particularly encrypted bittorrents.

Reply to
Jerry Park

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:56:05 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote: : snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: : >Linksys WRT54G routers for NAS. : : What does NAS mean in this context? It's probably not Network : Attached Storage...

Maybe he means NAT.

Reply to
Robert Coe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.