questions about privacy

I know about setting up the router with a password for only wireless devices that one would own. My question is If I access a free wifi point would someone beable to look in my pc since I would be connected to the network or is that not the same like one if internet only and one is a workgroup working wirelessly. Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
acer88
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 01:49:53 -0500, "acer88" wrote in :

When you are on a free Wi-Fi hotspot, *all* of your wireless traffic is exposed unless you encrypt it with SSL, VPN, etc.

In addition, your computer may be exposed to attacks from other computers on the wireless LAN, so it should be protected with a good software firewall, and any shares should be protected with strong passwords.

Reply to
John Navas

Yes, any time you are using a free (or open) AP, you'll want at the very least a firewall, and optimally a firewall and a VPN to someplace trusted.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Note that financial sites will have an "https" URL. Your traffic to and from those sites is secure even on unsecured WiFi networks. Others can see your traffic, but it will be encrypted.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.