Questions about HDSL router

Hello to all,

We have just contracted a service from ONO who is the local ISP here in Granada Spain. The service is a symetrical 2MB HDSL circuit. The tech guys showed up and installed a router made by ADC (it called a ERE-811L6 in the WorldDSL line of routers). Anyway, they could not tell me much about the router or what I would need to get this thing working. But they told me it was woking because they had link lights back to thier cloud. OK, thanks guys. I am sure the bills will show up on time though.

So this is what the router has coming out the back of it:

1. A DB25 connector that has a V.35 adaptor stuck in it and is marked DATA PORT
  2. Two BNC like ports marked OHM IN and OUT with nothing stuck in it.
  3. A 15 pin port marked 120 OHM-Alarm with nothing stuck in it.
  4. A serial port used by a two-pair cable and is marked HDSL LINE. Incredibly this cable goes out onto the street and if you were tall enough you could just grab it.

The service comes with a block of 15 public IPs. What I plan on doing as soon as I can find someone at the ISP who understands me, is to tell them to put the router in some kind of bridge-mode and put my router behind it using an IP from the pool they gave us. I want to manage the router. They are trying to sell me managed services and I dont want that.

So my questions are:

1.Would a Cisco 2610 2600 Series Router with WIC 1T Serial Card be enough to get me started?
  1. Since this circuit might be pegged during hours at a time do I need to be concerned about memory?
  2. Is there any other equipment I will need besides the router, and a V.35 cable to get data flowing?

Of course I will need to work with the ISP on this but right now I am on my own since they are offering NO support.

Thanks for any advice and help you may have,

Pedro

Reply to
Pichi_b
Loading thread data ...

HDSL is typically used to deliver T1/E1 circuits from the telco into the prem. They don't typically make an 'HDSL' router. It sounds like you are being handed off an E1 on a variety of interfaces from the network interface box.

Its not a router, ADC calls it a "local termination unit". FWIW: The ERE-811 is the part # of an enclosure. The card that is inside of it would be the same as a 'NIU' card, or a smart-jack. Either in a single enclosure like you have, or a 12-slot chassis the telco typically installs.

Data sheet says you can use this.

That would be a G.703 interface for the E1.

The data sheet says the 15-pin port is another interface for the E1 over the ancient standard of a 15-pin connector. Not much gear uses this.

Well, can't comment on telco installers and the disturbing things they do.

It sounds like you don't even have a bridge, but are being handed off an E1 to do as you need to. At best, this is a physical layer box. Was the ISP going to provide more hardware and hookup?

Sure. Or the WIC card for an E1..

No, no memory issues.

Either the V.35 or a WIC card with an E1 interface..

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

HDSL - High speed Digital Subscriber Line, European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) has adopted the CAP (Carrierless Amplitude and Phase modulation) line code for single-pair High-bit-rate Digital Subscriber Line (HDSL) transmission at El rates over existing copper phone lines.

HDSL is one of the first DSL technologies. It was designed to replace the common four wire repeated T1 lines in the US (E1 in Europe I guess, is a two wire service with a modulated signal imposed on the pair as in other DSL services. I am guessing what you have is the equivalent to the US NIU/Smartjack that terminates the two wire HSDL service same as the ones that will terminate the four wire repeated T1/E1 circuits. Integrated DSL modem. Seems that maybe more to your unit than what we have in the US. May have options for the BNC to deliver an E1 termination or the V.35 with an integrated Data Service Unit ? Not familiar with the European services that much.

Much cheaper than standard T1/E1 circuits but since is a modulated signal similar to other DSL services it is prone to more interference and error rates than the standard four wire repeated circuits and is not recommended when used with other service type circuits such as frame relay, etc but is great for Internet access.

Reply to
MC

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the detailed answer to my questions. I think I understand what it is I need to do now. I appreciate you sharing you knowledge very much!

In Spain the words "Customer Service" and Telco/ISP dont go very well together. I have learned the hard way that you need to do things yourself here and you cannot rely on support. If you absolutley must call them to fix something, you can spend days on the phone with people who dont understand your problem and do not know how to resolve issues. Its very frustrating indeed.

I will ask for a quote on what I need to get the rest working and go out and buy the equipment. Dont get me wrong the guys who did the install were real nice but they brought a book to install the device and admitted this was the first time they had seen the equipment.

So if this is just a layer 1 device will I need a DSU if I go with the v.35 cable and use the serial ports on the 2600? Also what is the difference between using the E1 WIC and just plain v.35 cable and serial ports??

Thanks a million,

Pedro

Reply to
Pichi_b

If I get a 2600 with the E1 WIC how can I talk to that v.35 interface on the local termination unit? Are there cables that have one end with v.35 and the other end ready for the E1 interface???

The reason I ask is I would like to avoid having more boxes in the rack (CSU/DSUs) and if the E1 WIC has those integraded...that would be great.

We are going to serve up content with this circuit. Its mainly video on a private network (50 potential endpoints). Do you see a problem using this type of circuit for that?

Thanks again,

P.

Reply to
Pichi_b

You can use this with the 2600, I like to refer to these devices as DSL DSU's so some of the folks I work with have an idea of what it does.

If your pipe gets busy (2M) I think this router will have a hard time keeping up. Expect that you'll need a newer router in a month or two. If it doesn't get busy then you may be ok. Of course that's just my opinion. :-)

See above.

You need a Male DTE V.35 cable for the WIC-1T (has a high density 50 pin adapter on the back, HD50 not a smart socket (?) SS). Plug in the cables and configure your port. Do you know what protocol they're running (Frame Relay, PPP or perhaps HDLC)? Then configure you're IP address range. Once you get an up/up you should be able to ping the next IP address of the ISP's router.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.