Print server advice

Hi,

I am trying to find a suitable (cheap) color laser - print server for my home network.

I have considered these printers:

- Minolta Magicolor 2400W;

- HP Color LaserJet 1600;

- Canon LBP5000

I already have a Synology DS101j which can act as a print server. I can also consider adding another (wifi) print server.

I'd like to make sure that the combination will work. So, any advice about working/not working pairs would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance - best regards,

Reply to
Daniel CLEMENT
Loading thread data ...

Are you looking for a print server for a color printer? or a color printer with a built in print server?

I have a HP Color LaserJet 2600n ... which has a built in hp print server .... that I am very happy with.

I don't think the HP Color LaserJet 1600 has a print server. You would have to get something like a hp 175x external jet direct print server.

Reply to
riggor

Actually I would like to install the printer in remote room (from the router). That's why I'm thinking of a (cheap printer + cheap wifi print server).

The other possibility would be: network printer + wifi bridge, but it appears more expensive (especially HP print servers, when purchased separately).

Not to mention a wifi color laser printer, if it ever exists...

Reply to
Daniel CLEMENT

Be Super Careful with your choice of printers and print servers.

Many cheap printers require special drivers on the PC, and these do not always work with printservers. If your printer has "clever" ink-level monitors or other utility functions, be suspicious. This is ESPECIALLY true with multifunction devices.

For example,

Works: HP Laserjet 6, HP Deskjet 815c Doesn't work: Kyocera X5150, Epson Photo R220

These were tested with a parallel port Edimax printserver, and a USB port printserver built into my SMC router. In the "not work" cases, either it simply didn't work at all, or printed half a page then crashed, or printed garbage.

So... CHECK with the printer maker and the wireless printserver maker to confirm your printer is compatible.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

look at the NetGear Print server for just about all "basic printing" needs ...ie just print and like Mark said no ink notifiction or such... Check the web site for a list of compatable printers. I know that the NetGear does not load any software it just configures the port to the printer

Reply to
DavidT

basic printing is perfect for me. I assume you are talking about the WGPS606 (only wireless print server I know from Netgear).

I had a look. The compatibility list is very light... It has the (discontinued) Color Laserjet 1500 on it. Should I bet the newer HP color LJ

1600 will work?

Good point, but then, why is its compatibility list so short? Makes me doubt... I'll try to ask Netgear directly next week, but I can already figure out their reply ("see compatibility list"...)

Reply to
Daniel CLEMENT

Unfortunately your assumptions are correct. That is the big issue with todays Print servers. They are a crap shoot as to weather they will work or not. If you are willing to take a chance then i would try it as long as you can get it someplace that will accept returns. My guess is that it would proable work since i bet there is not a whole lot of difference in the basic printer commands between the 1500 and 1600...perhaps compairing them might shed some light.

Reply to
DavidT

I have some general advice. If you purchase a printer that has a built in ethernet port, you can add an external wireless ethernet client bridge and will surely work. (Note that I said built in, not hang on ethernet). The basic problem is not the wireless, it's the ethernet printing support. Once you can print over ethernet, wireless is trivial. You're also not restricted to one printer to one wireless. You can connect more than one printer to a wireless ethernet client bridge with an ethernet switch. One of my customers has a "crash cart" with 3 printers and a wireless link.

Where you get into trouble is with printers with USB or parallel only interfaces. The HP LaserJet 1600 does NOT have an internal ethernet interface only plays USB 2.0. For ethernet, you need the HP LaserJet

2600N for about $100 more.

The Canon LBP-5000 has an optional ethernet board. I suggest you get it.

I'm too lazy to look up the others. I also find it rather odd that you're searching for a printer to go with your print server, when it should be the other way around.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

My experience is that ANY usb printer will give you grief. They mostly expect bidirectional traffic, which most printservers seem not to handle well.

If it has a parallel port, it'll probably work ok. If it has USB, then worry. Especially if its from Epson or is multifunction.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

i have 3 epson printers hooked up to my Netgear PS and all work well as long as i only want to print..which is fine for 99% of the time...they do act a bit quirkey sometime with the responses the send back but will print...You are correct in the Bidirectional aspect...you cannot get the printer status throught the PS .

Reply to
DavidT

Can you let me know the model of the epsons and of the netgear unit, I have had absolutely no luck.

In my case "bit quirkey" meant either crashing the printserver, or randomly stopping the print job and restarting from the start, or not even being recognised by the printserver as a valid printer....

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Reply to
DavidT

The difference is much higher in France!

The Canon NB-C1 ethernet board is almost as expensive as the printer...

Actually, I have a NAS storage that _can_ act as print server (not its primary function). But it's wired, and it's in the wrong room. That's why I also considered adding a wifi print server to match the printer.

A network printer would be great, but I'm still wondering if it's worth the extra price.

Thanks however for taking time to reply in so much detail.

Reply to
Daniel CLEMENT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.