new user

I just got a new laptop. It has built in wireless internet. It doesn't seem to be finding any networks though. What am i doing wrong? I am told i may need to switch on the wireless capability but I have no idea how to do this. Crap with computers. Any help appreciated

Reply to
julieadouglas
Loading thread data ...

Don't know about yours, but my HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop, which I purchased about two months ago, has a switch that turns the wireless capability on and off -- it's a pushbutton located top right corner of the keyboard, above the function keys, has an icon on it that looks like a little antenna with signals radiating from it.

You could also consult the users manual -- it's probably on one of the disks that came with the computer.

Could it be there are no networks in your vicinity? After all, most wireless networks don't broadcast coast-to-coast with 10,000 watts effective radiated power -- more like a few hundred milliwatts, good for a couple of hundred feet or so.

However, it's not a good idea to access someone else's network, even if they leave it unsecured.

Reply to
Joe S.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1132619273.170646.58830 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

What are you trying to do *hack* someone's wireless network?

What am i doing wrong? I am

Just what wireless equipment do you have other than a laptop that has wireless capabilities?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

my dell needs FN-F2 to enable wireless

Reply to
riggor99999

Gosh. I guess all laptops are identical. It must be a piece of junk since you're too embarassed to disclose the name.

No it does not. It has a wireless client adapter. The "internet" part does not come with the laptop. You should not be trying to hack into someone elses internet access. However, most wireless hot spots are free and can be used to access the internet for free.

If I knew what you were doing, I could possibly suggest what you are doing wrong. My crystal ball remote viewing option is currently in the shop for repair.

Toshiba: Small slide switch on left front of laptop or right rear. HP: Push button wireless on/off above keyboard. There are other locations. Usually, there's a light with something resembling a wireless icon somewhere near the switch. Some laptops don't have switches and do it in software.

If it were easy, it would be no fun. Try not to learn by destroying. If all else fails, there's always the manual, but I never do that until I'm desperate.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You need to be in range of a wireless access point, which means typically on a couple of walls away from the device offering wireless internet.

The TV ads are great here, they show people on beaches, on top of unfinished buildings, in ancient monuments and then a tiny message at the bottom of the screen "*must be in range of wireless access and may have to subscribe to an internet provider".

Great marketing, crap reality. They're not like mobile phones where you can reasonably expect to get a signal and connection pretty much anywhere.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

You do understand, I hope, that you can't just access the Internet because your computer has wireless capability?

In most homes, wireless access is provided by a wireless router plugged into a Cable or DSL modem (or by a combined modem/wireless router). Then your wireless-capable laptop accesses the signal provided by the router.

You will also have access to a wireless signal at Internet cafes and in many businesses - where the access may be restricted by "hot point" software which ensures that you're either paying for the service or otherwise legitimately entitled to access.

If you were able to find a network from home, without a wireless router of your own, you would most likely either find it blocking your access or you'd be illegally stealing somebody else's service. Some people do encourage the public to use their wireless access freely, but that's the minority of available access points.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.