New router has a glitch?

In March, 2005, my Linksys BEFW11S4 router died; after 3.5 years of

24x7 use, the radio (WiFi) stopped working. So, I replaced it with a Linksys WRT54G (running in 802.11b mode). Everything works with the new router, just as it did with the old router, with one curious exception: the Link Test (part of CMTOS, Toshiba's W2K client manager for the laptop's WiFi card) totally fails -- it sees no connection and gets zero returned packets for the packets it sends to the router (at a 4 per second rate).

The Link Test has the correct MAC addresses for laptop and for (the WiFi piece of) the router. The Site Monitor (another piece of CMTOS) sees the router, on the correct channel, in Infrastructure mode. The laptop can PING the router and all of the wired desktop PCs, and the router and the desktops can PING the laptop. The laptop can go through the router to get to the web, and FTP downloads are nearly as fast as with the old router. The laptop shares files and printers with the desktop PCs, just as before. DHCP works, for both wired and wireless stuff. Changing the channel from 6 to 1 or 11 had no effect. Turning WEP off and on had no effect. Enabling RTS/CTS did nothing. Dropping transmit speeds from 11 Mb/s to 1 Mb/s did nothing. Disabling Wireless MAC filtering had no effect. The Advanced Wireless Settings are all at default settings, and I'm broadcasting the SSID.

I'm at a loss. Has anybody ever seen this problem? Understand the problem? Have a fix?

Reply to
Bob Willard
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.