New User on Wireless Setup (continued)

Hello Group,

A few months ago I posted a message about a new user joining in on our wireless network, and the discussion centred around ways in which that user could use the network to access the internet but not be able to access other machines on the network.

The subject has come up again, and without expecting a complete re-analysis of the problem, I wonder whether what I want to achieve can be achieved by using a custom subnet mask.

First question is, if I use a custom SNM in order to create 2 subnets, can either subnet access files on hosts on the other subnet?

Second, how are physical segments actually defined? I suspect I cannot do this with 1 router, since everything directly connected to that router (wired or wireless) is as I understand it on a single physical segment.

Let's say I have two routers, is it possible to have one subnet which covers any machine directly connected to that router (say, wired), and have a second cable going out to a second router, and anything connected to that second router (wired or wireless) on a second subnet? Or is that really everything being connected to the first router (directly or indirectly) therefore only one physical segment?

If not is there any other way to use two routers to create two subnets (assuming it achieves the security I'm looking for by denying each subnet access to files on the other)?

When all is said and done, is it possible to just use Sharing and Security feature in XP to determine who can see what and access what across the network, or is this flawed in some way?

Regards,

Tanel.

Reply to
Tanel Kagan
Loading thread data ...

yes, i have two wap routers on different subnets, one public/one private, with the gateway on the second pointing to the first so the cable internet works on both..... easy to do the two wap/routers to isolate the subnets, trick was the gateway so the second subnet users could use the internet, but not see anything shared on the other subnet

Reply to
Peter Pan

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding. I *sort of* understand how you've done it, but would you be able to give me a little more detail on configuration?

Regards,

Tanel.

Reply to
Tanel Kagan

If by 'custom subnet mask' you mean 'another network', then yes, you probably can.

If the router(s) in question support access control lists [commonly referred to as a 'firewall'], then you can control what has access to what.

It Depends. Some routers can be configured with multiple SSIDs, eg routers that can run DD-WRT. Tell us what hardware you have and we may be able to give more advice. Routers define the boundaries between segments. That said, if a router is configured so that it's wireless and wired LAN are bridged together then effectively you have one segment.

Reply to
alexd

wap router 1 ssid PPinUSA DHPC server on, cable modem, starting ip

192.168.1.1 starting WIP .100 for 50 (thats the public one, no wep/wpa) powerline network "injector"
Reply to
Peter Pan

It's only a bad idea if they overlap, as you could end up with IP address conflicts. It's possible to make DHCP servers 'authoritative' so that you can have two DHCP servers on a subnet for redundancy.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.