Network Printer

Hello, I have Windows XP Home on my desktop with a HP Photosmart 1115 Printer hooked up to it. I have a laptop with Windows XP Professional. I am using a router to get internet to both CPU's. The desktop has a wire from the router, the laptop is wireless. The internet works fine. Now I am trying to set up a shared printer. I have selected my printer to share in the printers folder and ran the Network Setup Wizard. When I try to add a network printer by browsing on my laptop it sees the computer labelled Basement (desktop) but there is no printers under it. I can't figure out why it won't show up. When I browse for a network printer on my basement computer (desktop) the printer shows up. I think this problem has something to do with the XP Home not sharing its files and printers properly because it is the same for file sharing. I'm not overly concerned about the file sharing but if someone could help with the printer it would be great. If I need to give more information just let me know. Thanks!

Reply to
scottnoddin
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

On the PC with the printer, go to: Control Panel -> Windoze Firewall -> Exceptions -> Programs and Services and check the box labeled "file and print sharing".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
scottnoddin

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

So much for the easy fix.

Incidentally, the last time I blundered into something like what you're seeing was when I somehow successfully had the same NETBIOS machine names for both machines.

Well, let's verify this from the command line. Go unto the machine with the printer and invoke: Start -> run -> cmd

Run: net view which should result in the name of the available servers: Server Name Remark ----------------------------------- \\\\CHOLESTEROL

Then, run: net view \\\\cholesterol which should result in something like: Share name Type Used as Comment --------------------------------------------------- _DRIVERS Disk HPLaserJ Print LPT1 HP LaserJet 2100 ZIP Disk

Note the name of the printer above. The LPT1 is rather unusual as I need it for running some ancient MSDOS programs. You can see the redirection with: net use which displays something like: Status Local Remote Network ---------------------------------------------------------------- OK LPT1 \\\\cholesterol\\hplaserj Microsoft Windows Network If you don't see the LPT1 on your system, don't worry about it.[1]

Obviously, the names of the servers and printers will be different on your system.

Now, go unto the other machine and do roughly the same tests: net view \\\\cholesterol You should see the same shares and shared printers as when you were on the machine with the printer attached.

To manually use the remote printer, run: net use \\\\cholesterol\\hplaserj /persistent:yes

net use which will result in something like: Status Local Remote Network ---------------------------------------------------------------- OK \\\\cholesterol\\hplaserj Microsoft Windows Network

What I'm hopeing is that you'll get some coherent error message in the process of running these incantations.

[1] Someone is sure to ask how I did this. Run: net use lpt1: \\\\cholesterol\\hplaserj
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Just out of curiosity, are you using the HP photo printing software that get's installed on some models by default? Not familiar with that exact model, but my HP deskjet 3930 has it's own printer software (about 45 meg!) that won't work over a network, just worked locally over USB...

Reply to
Peter Pan

I like a wifi printerserver (Linksys). The Canon I865 will automaticly switching on/off. Sharing behind PC. I have to put the PC on etc............

Think about a printer server really fine. Don't have to be wireless.

Succes

Reply to
Clemens.van.Os

The printer should have an IP address issued from your DHCP server. Find that address and see if you can ping it. Lots of recent network printers have web servers inside and putting http:\\\\ipaddress\\ into you browser will bring up something interesting.

The printer control panel should have a buttin that prints out the network settings. Try to find it.

I just wrestled with a new retail Compaq XP/Home system and a HP3055 multifunction printer. The PC had Norton Anti-Everything and something called SpySweeper set up to prevent any modifications to any system object without also clicking on "OK" in a pop-up and it didn't always pop up. It was a PITA turning that stuff off so I could get the printer working. Then I could figure out the firewall stuff.

Reply to
Al Dykes

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Al Dykes) hath wroth:

Ummmm... The printer is an HP Photosmart 1115. I had had one of these in the office and am quite familiar it. I got rid of it a few months ago. It's USB or parallel. No network print server:

formatting link
don't think it's a network issue unless the OP forgot to mention a print server. As I understood it, the printer was plugged directly into a computah.

Yep. I've seen those problems with Norton Firewall.

Incidentally, I had to deal with an HP LaserJet 3055 contrivance recently. I had a hell of a time until I updated the firmware and drivers: |

formatting link
Last month, I helped setup a new laser/LED printer on a kiosk computer while their regular guru was on vacation. This was in a store that offered free internet access. The system was setup to return the registry back to some preset condition every time it boots. I've also seen library systems which do that. I would add the printer, it would work, I would reboot, and the printer was gone. It took me about 15 minutes to figure out what was happening.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Except that many printers do not work with printservers, especially photo printers and multifunction devices. Basically if it has a "clever" driver, which monitors ink levels etc, it may not work with a printserver.

Case studies HPLJ6 + Edimax parallel port printserver = ok HPDJ815 + Edimax parallel port printserver = ok Lexmark 5150 + USB printserver in SMC router = NOT ok Epson R220 + USB printserver in SMC router = NOT ok

The Epson lost all extended functionality including CD printing, head cleaning / maintenance, ink level monitoring etc. - plus it rebooted the router every ten mins, and more often than not during print jobs. The Lexmark totally failed to do anything.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.