IBSS wireless channel is different the router's but works - interesting?

Hi, I wanted to change my router's wireless channel number to avoid a possible signal interference resulting with strange freezes, then i changed from 11 to 6. I changed successfully.

However under advanced tab which is in my wireless adapter's driver page(device manager), IBSS channel number and WZC IBSS channel number are stayed at 11(they were default though).

However, with this settings i experienced strange freeze problem again while downloading(also i cannot reach to 192.168.1.1, but doing disable/enable or ''repair'' fixes this). Then i wanted to change channel number to 6 from driver page on my wi-fi adapter also. The computer locked and XP couldn't shut down, after restarting computer, the channel of wi-fi adapter(Broadcom BCM4318) is set to 6.

Now i am on channel 6 both for router and wi-fi adapter.

The thing i'm surprised: Before setting channels 6 for BOTH devices(router and wi-fi adapter), Although my router is broadcasting wi-fi on channel 6, WHY was i connecting and surfing although my wi-fi adapter's channel settings were set to 11 before?

I hope you understood.

Thank you...

Reply to
kimiraikkonen
Loading thread data ...

"kimiraikkonen" hath wroth:

Is there any reason why you didn't bother supplying the manufacturer and model number of your router?

There are at least 3 MAC addresses involved in your wireless router.

1. The MAC address of the WAN port. This can be changed.
  2. The MAC addresses of the LAN/ethernet ports. These are fixed and cannot be changed.
  3. The MAC address of the wireless port. This is fixed and cannot be changed.

When your unspecified wireless client connects to your unspecified wireless router, the client will scan through all the available channels trying to find the proper SSID. Therefore, after a channel change, the client will show a new channel, but the same MAC address (and the same SSID).

You cannot change channel on the Wi-Fi client. The client follows the channel set by the wireless router. Change it only in the wireless router and the client automatically follow.

Why do you associated the computer locking with wireless? There's usually no connection unless the wireless drive is old or defective. My guess is that the failure to shut down was caused by something else.

I have no idea. You might be surfing using the neighbors wireless router. Try rebooting your client computer again to see if that clears indications from before the change in channel. The only way you can set the channel on the client is if you are in the ad-hoc mode, which will NOT work with your wireless router, which requires infrstructure mode.

Only partly. The English is good enough but the technical description is terrible. Try to clearly seperate when you are talking about the router and when you are talking about your client adapter. It's also necessary to know the details of your hardware in order to guess an answer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Dear Jeff, i gave the needed technical informations, eventhough you do not need i want to give some info, My router is US Robotics 9109 MaxG ADSL2+ router.

Why do you talk about MAC address? I don't have about MAC address and i know they cannot be changed as they're off-topic for me. I had strange freezes about ''wireless'' , my problem is: While surfing or downloading, data transfer stops and i cannot receive or send packets, wi-fi icon which is on the taskbar stops lighting as it should indicate data transfer, but data transfer stops, FREEZES. Also i cannot reach to 192.168.1.1(my router) until i click ''repair'' or disable/enable of my wireless adapter(Broadcom BCM4318 driver

3.100.46.0) without touching my router.

After having this kind of problem, i researched and got some answers about requirement of a channel change.

Then i went to web user interface of my router and changed channel to

6 from 11. But also there are wi-fi channel number(client)s as you know which are in the ''device manager'' with ''advanced'' tab. Look at:
formatting link
1st question: There 2 setting field related to channels, they are: IBSS channel number and WZC IBSS channel number. Should i also change them to channel 6??? Although they are stayed at channel 11, i was able to surf, although router's channel number has been set to 6 already. Indeed, only changing router channel to 6 did not help, i experienced freeze(data transfer stops) problem again :( 2nd question: As i am not using Ad hoc(computer-to-computer), these IBSS channel numbers are wi-fi adapter driver channel settings are needless for me? (I'm connecting the net wirelessly through my router (ADSL) ).

Also, as i am carefull, i do not use neighbours wireless networks, because i always check SSID name which i am surfing through.

Freeze problem is about wireless connection , not computer freeze.

As i am new to wireless i supposed that wireless channel changes should be made both for router and wi-fi adapter? What is the correct?

Thank you...

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

Please do not assume that I have read all your previous messages.

I can't tell from here what is causing the freezes. I'm also not familiar with the USR 9109 ADSL wireless router.

Do you have the same problem when connected directly with a CAT5 ethernet cable? In other words, is it a wireless problem or a problem in the DSL modem or router?

Have you tried the same test with a different wireless laptop? I'm trying to determine if the problem is in the USR 9109 or in the computer.

The only reason to change channel is to avoid interference. Interference will not cause a hang. If sufficiently bad, it might cause a disconnect or a difficulty in initially connecting. It's a good idea to try different channels, but I don't think it will help.

Would it be too much trouble to kindly supply the maker and model number of the wireless client and wireless card? Without knowing the model, it's a bit difficult to reasarch if 3.100.46.0 is the recommended or latest Broadcom driver. Also, it would be useful to know what country you are located as the drivers are different for various regulatory jurisdictions.

Ok, now I see what you're doing. In Infrastructure mode, you do NOT change the channel on the client. The access point controls the channel number. In Ad-Hoc mode, which you are NOT using, the channel is changed. If you are using Wireless Zero Config, you will find that the various channel numbers in the wireless device properties, will change by themselves when connected to an infrstructure access point.

Well, I found this almost useless explanation of the various settings.

This looks better:

I'm not 100% sure (and too lazy to check) but I'm fairly sure that IBSS Channel number is only settable on the client in Ad-Hoc mode. In infrastructure mode, which you're using, it's only a channel indicator, not a channel setting.

Assumption, the mother of all screwups. If you have your wireless client set to "connect to any available network", it will magically roam and connect to anything that it finds. Some older wireless clients will do the same if you set the connection SSID to "ANY".

Prove it by substitution. Replace parts and pieces or your system and see if it persists. That's very difficult to do with an all-in-one DSL modem/router/wireless. You may need to borrow a replacement for testing.

No. It is NOT correct. The wireless access point sets the channel number. The wireless client follows the channel number set by the wireless access point.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.