RadioLabs Mobile Antenna System.

Looking for users to give the group feedback on the 'long range wifi traveler kit'. I wish to connect to the public library 2-3 miles los. Lots of trees, most structures are one story. In Brevard County FL the Public Library has open wifi for members and visitors. Members get perks ofcourse. The system is available from the parking lot with pcmcia card and no attatched antenna.

Reply to
mimsmall
Loading thread data ...

I'm not an expert but unless LOS to the library's antenna I don't think you'll be able to deal with intervening trees and buildings.

Reply to
JeB

"mimsmall" hath wroth:

This one?

I don't think it's going to do much for you. The page claims that it works "up to 4 miles" which implies line of sight. If you're at 3 miles, you're already near the extreme range. In addition, the library access point will not be located in a convenient location such as in a window. You'll have to "drill" through the walls. It also will not have a high gain antenna at the library end. A large mass of trees and structures will literally block the signal. Frankly, I don't think you have a chance unless you can get clear line of sight.

On the techy side, the antenna is only 12.5dBi gain. That's not much more than a double biquad antenna. You can get 24dBi gain from a big dish antenna, such as:

To put that in perspective, you get double the range for every 6dB of increased antenna gain. That means the 24dBi dish will go 4 times as far as the 12dBi yagi.

Lastly, I don't consider it ethical to use the library system for your personal entertainment or whatever. It's a dis-service to the library patrons to consume their bandwidth. You're also suppose to get permission before using or accessing someone elses system. Florida has a law for the occassion:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 30 Mar 2007 12:16:39 -0700, "mimsmall" wrote in :

"Members and visitors" mean people >> using the library

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.