Dlink DI-524 refuses to work after move

Hello folks, I have a feeling my poor little DI-524 gave up the ghost after my recent move, I thought you might suggest on how I can verify this before I start shopping around for a replacement. As you may know, this isn't exactly the best router and in having to fiddle with it constantly I believe I know how to work it well enough... but since the move I have not been able to get it to connect to my Rogers High-speed cable internet (Canada). When I plug in a computer(s) to the cable modem they work just fine off the DHCP. But... : The router times out on DHCP renew, won't budge in getting the new IP info after the move, and the WAN led continues blinking. I have tried upgrading to the latest firmware (3.23) as I was running 3.03 which was supposedly more stable for WiFi. Do you think it's bricked? Thanks for any suggestions, Mike

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

"Mike" hath wroth:

Did you reset it to defaults with either the web interface or the reset button after the firmware update?

The flashing WAN light might indicate a cable, connector, or wiring problem between the cable modem and the DI-524. Check or replace the CAT5 ethernet WAN cable. Look inside the jacks (on both ends) for crud, bent pins, pieces of paper, packing material, filth, etc.

I don't think it's dead because just about everything except the WAN/internet port is working.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 4 Feb 2007 19:51:42 -0800, "Mike" wrote in :

In addition to what Jeff has said, be _sure_ to power cycle the cable modem after connecting the D-Link so the cable Internet service picks up the D-Link MAC address.

Reply to
John Navas

Jeff, that's some very good suggestions. I will check the jacks & try different cabling when first thing when I get home. I have reset the router several times before the firmware update, assuming that it was in a reset state after flash I hadn't try resetting after the update. Will try that too.

John, yes, I have repeatedly power-cycled the modem in attempts to remedy the situation; even though I believe this is one of the newer models that shouldn't require this.

Thanks Guys, Mike

P.S. Perhaps subc> "Mike" hath wroth:

Reply to
Mike

On 5 Feb 2007 05:35:14 -0800, "Mike" wrote in :

I've not yet gotten any experience with it, but all other Airport models I've used have been very well engineered, so I'd expect that of this model as well.

Be warned that any flavor of (pre) "n" only works when _compatible_ "n" units are at both ends of the connection; otherwise the connection falls back to "g" or "b".

Reply to
John Navas

"Mike" hath wroth:

One of my customers has one. The problem is that he won't let me play with it, especially when he saw me pull out the screwdriver. Oh well, maybe when he's not looking.

Interesting reading and tests:

One general comment on the Airport Extreme. It uses the Ruckus Wireless steerable antenna system to custom tailor the antenna pattern for maximum gain in the right direction, and nulls in the direction of interference.

That requires that the unit be mounted horizontally. There are similar units show mounted vertically (i.e. Netgear). That doesn't work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.