Error trying to set-up static DHCP on Dlink DI-524 wireless router

Another slight problem with setting up this DI-524. Working fine with a PC (via wire) and laptop (via wireless) connected to the internet. I wanted to reserve the IP address (192.168.0.100) that the PC has been given by DHCP as a static DCHP address so it'll never change (so I can set-up virtual IIS server on my PC).

The DLink has a feature to do this - you simply "clone" the MAC address of the NIC in the PC and click apply. This then reserves the IP address currently assigned to the NIC as static DHCP, i.e. the PC NIC will always be given the same IP address.

Well "simple" in principle. When I try it, I get the error message: "Reserver IP Address Error".

I can assign the laptop's IP address as static using the same process and that works perfectly. Just won't let me use the PC's NIC as static.

Ohh, a thought - the MAC from the PC NIC was cloned into the router's WAN connection during wizard set-up. This is a neat feature whilst means that I didn't have to register the router's own MAC address with NTL as a new network device - I think I might be getting close to the "5 changes" limit which I think NTL impose.

I wonder if this is causing the error, i.e. the MAC address is used on the router's WAN interface but I'm also trying to do something clever with it for a static IP?

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson
Loading thread data ...

Nope - don't think that's it... I had a spare NIC in the PC so I've changed the MAC address on the router to it's MAC address and rebooted. So now the router MAC is different from the PC's MAC but still can't reserve a static address.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Have you tried giving it a different Static IP address and see if that will become static? try 192.168.0.50

Reply to
DLink Guru

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in news:xKLRd.913$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

is there a reason you don't want to just assign the pc a static ip and disable the dhcp client on the pc ? if the rtr has the option of limiting the dhcp scope, just make the limit NOT include the ip you have statically assigned. just because dhcp is available doesn't mean that all pc's, or whatever devices, need to use dhcp. it's only an issue when the dhcp tries to assing an ip that is already in use, which is why you limit the scope.

that seem to be the easiest thing to do.

DanS

Reply to
DanS

When I turn on my computers they seem to always get the same IP address and Mac address. I think that the lease is 7 days. When you turn on the computer, the one you wish to have the static IP address, does it get the same address each time you turn it on? Did you set up the computer to use a static address? Is this even possible? Can't you omit 192.168.0.100 in the router's settings but set your computer up to use that address? Or like someone else said 192.168.0.50 set up on your computer? What OS are you using? Windows XP or ???

Newbie trying to also understand. later, dave (One out of many daves) DI-524

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I'll give that a go - if it doesn't work, I can always use static IP for this one PC outside of the DHCP range.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Yes it does, but there is a slight chance that it'll get a different DHCP address one time. I guess if that happens, then I'll notice it and just have to change the virtual server IP address to match.

Windows XP.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Yes, I agree, that will work perfectly but that's not the point is it :-) It means that 2 mins more work in setting up this PC with static IP and DNS Of course, I've spent >2 mins so far trying to get it to work. Ho hum.

Cheers, ROb.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Yup that worked - well 192.168.0.150 worked. I tried the IP you suggested and I have a suspicion I tried this as well yesterday and .50 fails. But of course it would :-) DHCP range by default is 100-199! So 192.168.0.150 worked a treat.

Happy bunny.

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Good to hear it.....

Reply to
DLink Guru

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.