D-Link DWL 710 Repeater w/Static IP addresses

I subscribe to Qwest DSL and an ISP which provides me with a static IP address. I have a D-Link 624 (rev C, 2.50 firmware) that I use as a wireless router for a number of laptops that float around our house. The main computer is hard-wired to the router. I've got one room in my 3 story house that is just at the edge of the D-Link's range. This particular computer can't be moved and can't be hard-wired; wireless is the only option. It works intermittently now.

I've had good luck with a D-Link DWL 710 Repeater at my vacation house, but it's used with a network that doesn't have static IP addresses.

When I plug the DWL-710 into a port on the D-Link 624 router to configure the DWL 710, I can get the login window for the 710 without difficulty, by pointing my webbrowser to the default IP address for the DWL, which is

192.168.0.30. After logging in with the "admin" user name and blank password, the DWL wanders off somewhere and literally never returns. It doesn't timeout, it doesn't report that the address can't be found, it just sits. The LAN light is solid, the power light is solid, and the WLAN light flashes intermittently like it is thinking. At first I thought I had a defective unit, but after my second one does the same thing, I'm think about installer error or some conceptual block I'm having. There is a very brief single line on the front page of the instructions that says: "You will need to assign your computer a Static IP address within the same range as the DWL-G710's IP address for the purpose of configuring the DWL-G710". Since the computer is connected to the router, which dishes out the IP addresses, the computer already has an IP of 192.168.0.1 and accepts valid addresses in the 192.168.0.2 - 150 range. I'm assuming that because I can reach the login screen of the DWL G710 and DHCP tables show 192.168.0.30 associated with the MAC address of the range extender that I've done this.

I'm completely stumped here. I can't seem to reach the conceptual breakthrough required to get this repeater working. Ideas, thoughts, suggestions welcomed.

Reply to
Fearless
Loading thread data ...

Just a quick followup. After 45 minutes on the phone with a D-Link tech support person, we've come to the conclusion that I'm an unfortunate victim of a run of bad wireless repeaters. The offending ones seem to ship with Firmware 1.01. Mine isn't the only report of problems. Guess I'll take the second one back and wait for D-Link to sort out this problem before jumping back into the pool.

Reply to
Fearless

Yet another followup on the DWL 710 repeater. Stay away from it. If you're looking for an alternative repeater to use in a D-Link environment (DI - 624 Rev C, in particular), get hold of the DWL-800AP+ does the trick nicely. It is a dual-function device - access point or repeater. It comes by default as a repeater and it set up in less than 5 minutes. It does a very nice job of repeating the signal in a large house and probably extends the range of my wireless network by a factor of 2.

As evidence of the problems with the DWL 710, my local CompUSA removed all of them from the shelves after having 4 of their original 6 returned because they didn't work. When I went to Fry's to buy the DWL 800AP+, there were 7 DWL 710's on the shelf. Every one of them were repackaged and reduced in price, suggesting that they were returns but not indicating why they were returned. I might surmise why - they don't work.

Reply to
Fearless

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.