Connected, but no internet

Seriously, been my experience too (about the power on sequence), especially when you get the new group of people that think they know it all, and that will never, under any circumstances, turn things off. Go in, power off and back on, give em a bill for a few hundred, and go on vacation... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Try turning off 802.1x authentication on the wireless device. Sometime (not always) that helps.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff- Thanks for your help. I can't seem to find that ANYWHERE- either on my router or on the PC connection control panel itself. Any hints? Is it possible that mine doesn't have that option?

Reply to
D

Does ANYONE have any thoughts or ideas as to how to fix this problem? EVERYTIME I sit down at that computer the internet DOES NOT WORK. It says connected, but, no internet. I have to go into the D-Link control panel, hit rescan, then connect. It connects, but nothing. I do this about 4 or 5 times in a row, and hopefully maybe it will connect about 40% of the time from there. This is rediculous. I have a VERY GOOD signal Strength (typically about 85-94%), so I can't understand why it won't give me access to internet. Any other ideas?

All the replies have been wonderful here, but nothing's working. I can't reboot my cable modem and router everytime my employee needs to use the internet. Can someone help? Thanks D

Reply to
D

Depends if you have sp2 installed or not. The sp2 upgrade turns it off.

D wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

ok- follow up to that last desperate cry for help. While I was working on the internet on that pc, (took me 10 minutes to get connection tho), it dropped the signal. So it's working, and I"m surfing right along, then, the yellow balloon pops up saying 'network connection unavailable'. Then, 3 seconds later, it pops back up and says 'connected, signal strength, good'. This is the same thing that happens when I hit the connect button in the DLink control panel. So- apparently, it almost seems as if the signal is fluctuating up and down or something. Even tho, it always says the signal strength is very good. What's going on here? Interferance? The Router is right in the next room- so I don't get this. Any ideas? Man I'm getting desperate... Thanks D

Reply to
D

fraid I haven't been following this thread. What make/model router do you have, and have you gone to the website and upgraded the software? I had a DI-624, and turned out there are at least 4 different versions of it.. Some versions have updated software, some don't.... If that's what you have, hope you got one of the versions that are fixable instead of one that's..... ummm suited for a boat anchor?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Do you have a Wap/Router? I reached that point a few times (f---it), both laptops had ethernet ports, and both devices were wap/routers, so I picked up a couple of cat 5 cables, and hooked things up as wired. Made me feel a whole lot better knowing I could play with the wireless and always go back to wired if I had to. Interesting part for me, was that knowing I could go back to wired, made me a whole lot more confident trying things wireless.

New season coming up on TV.. you can play and watch TV, and always go back to wired for the next day. :)

Good luck, and give it a shot if you get bored....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yup- I hit the F&@# it point tonight. I am switching back to hardline- wireless sucks ass. Maybe I'll try it again in 5 years when the technology can support stable connections. POS. I wanna thank everyone for all their posts and time helping me out- it is much appreciated! D

Reply to
D

It's in the properties for the wireless device on your computah assuming you have Windoze XP. Go to: Control Panel -> Network Right Click on the wireless device icon and select Properties. Hit the "Authentication" tab. It should be prominently listed.

If you're running no encryption or WEP, you'll have the option to disable it. However, if you're running WPA, it must be enabled and cannot be disarmed.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

With Windows XP SP2, if you have the WinXP "wirelesss" icon in your systray, you can double click on it, and then select properties. Otherwise, you can get to a "profile". View wireless networks, change the preferred order of networks, properties of one of the configurations, authentication tab.

With winxP SP2, the 802.1x box is no longer available unless you are running encryption. With encryption on, I don't find it to be a problem. With encryption off, there is no box to uncheck.

Reply to
dold

Try to update drivers for your card or may be your card is not compatible with your access point/router. I´ve got SMC barricade router, and bought a Conceptronic card (was cheaper...). I could see my ssid, and seems connected, but no pings, may be one after twelve requests,(same problem you comment) so i tried with a SMC card, and now everything works fine..... So it´s possible that you´ve got a compatibility problems "D" escribió en el mensaje news:AKHBd.32010$F25.3846@okepread07...

Reply to
Charls

If you haven't already done so, do the following: By the way, I am assuming that you're using Windows XP.

1. Go to the command prompt, via your wireless device, and verify the IP address. If you don't know how, go to START, RUN then type CMD and press the enter key. Afterwards, type in IPCONFIG or IPCONFIG/ALL and hit the enter key. Verify that the IP address is what you have it to be and not 169.254.x.x. If it's the 169.254... IP, you have a misconfiguration of some sort.
  2. If you have a software firewall, especially the one that comes with windows xp sp-2, disable it for now. Alternatively, if you're using zonealarm, add your new network to the TRUSTED ZONE.
  3. From a wired pc, go into the router's config. menu and make sure that you are not preventing your wireless device(s) from accessing the network by having MAC address filtering enabled without having the MAC address of the devices listed for authorization.
  4. Make sure that the windows wireless zero configuration isn't clashing with the D-link config. utility. They cannot work at the same time. Go to START< RUN then type SERVICE.MSC. When the menu appears, scroll down until you find the windows wireless zero configuration. Double click on it and disable it.

Afterwards, completely unplug your router and cable/DSL modem, if applicable. Then shut down all of your networked computers. After about 30 seconds or so, plug in the modem and router then reboot all of your machines. Update us on your progress or lack of.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.