Configuration and networking of WET54g to macintosh

I need help configuring a Linksys WET54g and getting it on my Mac network. I am trying to attach this Ethernet bridge to a Slingbox which is remote from my iMac and wireless router. I seem to be unable to configure the bridge on the iMac to then get the network to recognize it. Anyone with some advice on how to both configure the WET54g using my iMac and then get the network to recognize it (and thereby the Slingbox). I am a networking novice so please be as detailed as possible.

Reply to
jsklein
Loading thread data ...

It would be helpful if you listed the make and model of your router and what kind of wireless security, if any, you are using with it.

The following instructions assume that you are using Mac OS X 10.4 and version 3 of the WET54G.

Connect the WET54G to your iMac with an Ethernet cable. Open the Mac System Preferences and click on the Network icon. Select Ethernet in the list, click the "Configure..." button, note the settings, and then change them to the following.

Configure IPv4: Manually IP Address: 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Leave the other boxes blank. Click "Apply Now".

Launch your web browser and follow the instructions in Chapter 7 of the WET54G v3 User Guide ("Using the Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge Web-based Utility"). Some browsers don't work well with the web servers built into some network devices. The Mac browser that usually works the best with them is Firefox, which is free and can be downloaded from the following link.

After you have configured the WET54G, unplug it from the iMac and connect it to the Slingbox. You may also want to restore the network settings for your iMac's Ethernet port.

Reply to
Neill Massello

You can have more than the one (Automatic) Location in the Apple menu. I have 25 Locations in mine. One for configuring the access point, one for wireless access, one for cable, one for mobile phone internet access etc etc. Then it's easy to switch between them, and you don't have to remember details about how to set up each one.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Thanks. I have tried to do this and cannot get it to work. I feel like a real idiot. Once I have manually configured the bridge on the iMac, once I try and launch the firefox browser I cannot connect to the internet, and need to change the network settings back to my airport rather than the ethernet to get the browser to work. WHat am I doing wrong?

Reply to
jsklein

Go into your iMac's network preferences and set the Ethernet port to "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP". Then select "Network Port Configurations" in the "Show:" pop-up menu and drag the Built-in Ethernet item to the top of the list. You can also turn your iMac's AirPort card off by using the AirPort menu (Click on the AirPort icon on the right side of the menubar.)

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.