Cat6 cables useful?

I guess this is off-topic, but I AM using cables to interconnect among my wireless router, client bridge, PC, and media extender.

Is there any value in using Cat6 ethernet cables with these devices? I am using 802.11g and I might upgrade to 802.11n. I am interested in performance, and also reliability. If a fancy cable can eliminate an entry in a list of trouble-shooting tasks, I am all for it.

I also have Cat5 and Cat5e cables in my hell box. I don't really understand the practical differences among all of these. I see that they are rated to a maximum count of MHz, but I don't know how to translate that into network performance and reliability.

Reply to
David Arnstein
Loading thread data ...

For home use NO Cat5e is good for Gigahertz.

Cat 6 is over kill most things cat 6 and 7 may be usefull for 10G

Reply to
Neuromancer

Hi,

Cat5e is mostly used, it can reach up to 100Mbps at 100 meter distance, this is more than 802.11g can reach (54Mbps) while 802.11g+ can reach

108Mbps in theory or if both units are few meters away in the same room!

Don't look for Cat6 or Cat7

Panda,

formatting link

Neuromancer wrote:

Reply to
Panda

um the rule of thumb is cut the max speed in half to get a rough idea what the speed will be on a good conection as wireless has a lot of over head.

Cat 5 UTP can (if terminated properly) handle 1 Gbs in each direction.

Reply to
Neuromancer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.