component video cables

just bought a Samsun 24" digital tv. Seems nice.

our dvd and new tv are both compatible with "component video" which, unlike the standard "composite video", does not blend all RGB and luminance in one signal - it breaks them into 3 signals (luminance, red, blue - the green apparently is inferred from the balance of R &B.)

does anyone know if I can use the old fashioned Red-White-Yellow cables which are ordinarily used to hook up lesser expensive home theaters, to hook up component video? I would guess not b/c nowadays they make such a big deal about buying "component video" cables.

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Then no advantage of digital surround sound and HD video. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You might get away with it for short runs, but the Red-White-Yellow cable is meant for composite video + left and right audio. It may therefore not perform very well at the much higher frequencies used for video signals. Get a proper component cable - but don't spend silly money on exotic cables treated with snake oil. They won't work any better, despite what the manufacturers and credulous reviewers might say.

Reply to
Pyriform

you definetly want to go with component cables that are made for doing jsut that. I'd recommend going on-line (possibly ebay) and getting your cables there. don't pay extra for MONSTER or other high end cables. when I helped my father with his home theater we bought a 75 foot cable to run to the projector it was half the price of rthe 40 foot monster cable, and when it came in I was VERY pleased with the quality of the cable, in my opinion it was better than MONSTER (each cables with shielded from the other onees andn then all of those inside one big shield, very nicely done) trust me if you were to hook up the regular yellow red blue cables and then switch to the component cables, you'd notice a difference, at least I did.

-Nick

Reply to
Nick Vital

Hi, R,G,B and component cables were created on different spec. Component cable is designed to carry wider band width signal (for HD). I'd buy a set of component cable. Don't need to spend monster amount of money to buy something outrageously priced. All my video signal is carried by component cable into A/V receiver which feeds HDTV set. Audio signals are all on optical(Toslink) or coax. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As far as I know component cables nead a 75 ohm co-ax cable. Some audio cables (not the very cheap ones) are twisted pair and therfore would not be correct for video.

Reply to
David Shadford

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.