UTP Cables

Hi guys, i know what type of a cable to use between equipments, but what i wanna ask about is: if we are connecting a PC to a Switch or a Hub we would use a Straight through cable, i wanna know how does the Switch recieve them on the Transmit pair because its Straight. Thx.

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Hi Andy,

An "Interface" Port (like from the LAN-Card of a PC or from a NM-FE) usually uses MDI wireing.

Hub/Switch-Ports usually have MDI-X wireing.

That's why you can use straight cables, when connecting an Interface to a Switch-Port, and that's why you need crossover, when connecting interfaces to each others.

Some modern Switches have MDI/MDI-X autosensing. (For you this means, that you can use both types of cables here).


Reply to
Rainer Temme

Pin Name Direction Description

1 TD+ HUB NIC Receive data - 7 nc --- 8 nc ---
Reply to

Thx Guys, you have been a great help.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.