Extension Cables?

A friend of mine had someone install a Linksys WRT54G router in her basement home office, and then install a Linksys G PCI adapter in a PC in a first floor bedroom. Straight line distance between the router and the PC is probably less than 20 feet, but the PC is getting such low signal levels that the connection barely works. I downloaded the user's guide for the PCI adapter, to see if I could detach the antenna and move it out from behind the PC with an extension cable. Nothing in the manual on this. Does anyone know if this card CAN be modified this way? If not, what else could I try, to improve the signal strength? John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones
Loading thread data ...

Good morning, John:

I have the same issue except my router is 250' away. Here are the things I did to get it working:

1) Replace the router's antennas with the Linksys 7dbi gain antennas and do the same on the PC card (if you can).

2) Tell both radios to stop using automatic speed controls. I was running 54mbps on both ends and I couldn't get a connect. I told my WRT54G to throttle back to 5.5mbps and I did the same on my laptop. Bingo!

When you think about it, it doesn't make much sense to run 54mbps when my cable modem is running 5mbps. The only advantage using the faster rate is when you are transferring large files (like a movie, etc.) between your in house computers.

Here is a link for the antennas on eBay:

formatting link
One more thing - I wouldn't try using an extension cable - at 2.4ghz, cable losses are very high and even after 5 feet (with some cables), you'd see less signal than if you simply upgraded the antennas at the back of the router and PC card.

Hope that helps!

Ken

73's de Ken KG0WX - Kadiddlehopper #11808, Flying Pigs #-1055, Grid EM17io, FT-857D, Elecraft XG2, 4SQRP Tenna Dipper, Heath GD-1B
Reply to
Ken Bessler

If I can't replace the antenna on the PCI card, what make and model adapter are you using (since you COULD replace the antenna on it)? The reason I was thinking about an extension cable is that the PC itself is oriented so the wireless antenna is "shielded" by the PC's case from the router. and the PC can't be turned enough to get out of the antenna's "way".

I'll definitely look into the "throttling" you suggested, too. John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

Well, my situation is that I'm using a laptop - I'm running an Atheros internal (miniPCI) card. I bought a 36" coax cable with U.FL connectors on each end (very tiny - about twice the size of a pinhead). I cut the cable in half, attached the connector ends to the Atheros card and snaked the 2 micro (1.37mm diameter) coaxes out the back and up behind the screen. I then soldered the coax ends directly to the Linksys antennas and glued the base of the antennas to the top/rear of my screen. I secured the coaxes to the back of the screen with "Gorilla Tape" (fantastic stuff). I can fold the antennas neatly behind the screen or adjust them like TV "rabbit ears".

My point is that if you want to use coax, you really must get a better antenna first otherwise the losses from the coax will make your situation worse.

Oh, yes - one other thing - I don't know if the stock firmware in your router will let you adjust the speed like I suggested. If not, then I strongly recommend DD-WRT:

formatting link
(EN) That will replace your OEM software with a much better one - It's like comparing a VW bug to a Hummer. And, it's free.

Good luck!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Bessler

Ken Bessler wrote: >

formatting link
(EN)>

formatting link
has the info on version 5 WRT54G units that do not use a Linux OS. If its an older Linksys, 3rd party firmware will work, or buy a new Linksys WRT54GL which was released with Linux.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Excellent point - I forgot how I bought a V5 then sold it and grabbed a V4 router.....

Ken

Reply to
Ken Bessler

I think that you are on the right track. Get your antenna out from behind that shield. Raise it up a bit. What you want is a short cable and 5dbi or better antenna. You are probably ok with a directional which naturally gives more gain.

I see extension antennas at the electronics stores all the time. Try Fry's, best buy, comp usa etc. Or ebay. Some give more.

You need the reverse TNC for that Linksys or some come with an adapter to make it fit. $25 or less should do it.

Also, linksys sells an antenna extension kit with a base. You could buy that and then put the existing antennas on it to see. Also

I have been fixing the wireless in relatives' houses found that raising the antenna or router and throttling down the speed to say 11, helped the strength makes a lot of difference.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.