can't get internet behind router with static ip

Good point.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

You still don't see the difference? If you'd used the "static DHCP" option, your gateway and DNS would have been set up without any work by you, and you wouldn't have had to ask us why you couldn't get to the Internet.

Except it _didn't_ work fine. My argument is not that you, in particular, shouldn't use static IPs, it's that this is one of this newsgroups most frequent FAQs, and if everybody used the DHCP server to hand out IPs the question would never be asked.

btw, I've got three computers (using three different OS's) on the local network, connecting and disconnecting all the time, and they've all had exactly the same IPs for the last six months - without setting up static DHCP at all.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Pardon? If he absolutely needs to have a static IP, he configures it on the client. The router is irrelevant in that case.

Example: my web and mailserver has a fixed 192.168.x.150 address, defined on the client, while my other PCs have DCHP-assigned addresses in the same 192.168.x.0 subnet. This works fine. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Of course you can set up a static IP - but this whole thread is about the problems that the average user is unaware of when doing that. Using a router that will provide static DHCP is the no-brain way to do it. Using a router that can't do that is a mistake. Even if you _do_ know how to set up static IPs, flawlessly, it's less effort to use the DHCP server.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

So what? I was referring to your comment quoted above, suggesting that his router had something to do with static IPs.

A good many routers can't provide this, they're still perfectly usable.

Come now, its hardly rocket science. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Back when I was gainfully employed, maintaining a large Windows-based network, the term we used was "DHCP reservations".

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Of course it isn't - but using the DHCP server is still easier, and you can hardly argue with the fact that when this FAQ comes up, it's almost always because somebody _didn't_ understand how to set the correct gateway. It's easier to get a router that supports static DHCP and use it.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

You need to have the PC on the same subnet as the router, and the PC's default gateway set to point to the router. Example

Router 192.168.1.1 PC 192.168.1.100 gateway 192.168.1.1

172.x is a weird address to have by teh way, isn't that a public address? Mark McIntyre
Reply to
Mark McIntyre

only just, and only when it works...

When it goes wrong, its very confusing.

No idea, I'm not keeping score.

You make it suonds like routers that "support" it are rare. I have to argue against this on two grounds, firstly that "static DHCP" is irrelevant and secondly that you don't need a router to "support" it since reissuing the same IP is a part of the DHCP protocol. The client will ask for the same IP, and get it unless its in use which will never happen on a home network. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Hi, Well.... if you scroll up to the 6th post you will see that I actually explained what the problem was and that I've solved the issue. And yes, I do need absolutely to have a static ip. I'm not on a 100 PC's network, just have two PC and they won't access any other networks anyway, so can't be much harm to set up the IP myself ...

thanks anyway.

Reply to
samuelberthelot

I don't know, one method requires that the user dig out their MAC address and set up a static mapping in the DHCP server.

The other method just requires that they note the start/end range and use an address outside that.

I don't see any difference to be honest and certainly nothing to condemn the router for.

I have a Linksys WRT54G which doesn't do static mappings, I also have a Linksys RP3T12 which doesn't do static mappings. Neither create a problem except for the Hauppauge Media MVP's that can't have a static address set for which one of them in my usage presently needs a static address. It's a pain when that one changes but that's as much Hauppauge's fault as it is Linksys!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Depends which one, RFC1918 makes provision for 172.16/12

David.

Reply to
David Taylor
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

It's usually displayed in the router admin screen.

Reply to
John Navas

FYI, it's pointless to argue with Mark -- he's *never* wrong. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Sure but then typically has to be transcribed elsewhere. It doesn't matter how you get it.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Pot to kettle, over?

Reply to
David Taylor

It doesn't take much digging - but yes, they do still need to know something of what they're doing. However, as I also pointed out, you generally don't even need to set up the static mapping. Provided your DHCP range is large enough to hold all the computers that will ever connect to your system, and they do regularly connect (ie, always reconnect before the lease expires) the machines will always get the same address (actually, each unique NIC will always get the same address). Odds are that any device that really needs a fixed address will always be on the network.

No, the problem people tend to have here is that they don't know they need to set the gateway address (and how to do that).

Linksys WRT54Gs (except the V5 monster) _do_ do static mapping, just not with Linksys firmware

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I'll have to disagree with you on that.

Not in my experience, but people keep bringing it up

And I also pointed that out. Of course, you can't say never. If you've got five NICs on your LAN, and you decide to set your DHCP assigned address space to only give out five IPs, it'll happen. I wouldn't do that, and I can't say I've seen it done, but I can't help thinking there's people out there who'd think it a good idea. And if lease times are, say, 7 days, and one computer only connects every two weeks, it _may_ get a different IP (depends on the DHCP implementation).

Reply to
Derek Broughton

This is Usenet and it doesn't work that way

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Normally i'd agree but as you might have read, I have one of these Hauppauge MVP's which only does DHCP, no manual config and it doesn't play by normal rules. In order to maintain the DHCP lease table, that requires that the router save it during a power down, do all routers do this? It seems not. Certainly not the Linksys RP3T12 which in combination with a Hauppauge MVP, if the MVP comes up first, it just requests an address and the Linksys will happily dish out the first one in the range. It's a bit of a pain to be honest.

What I'm getting at is that regardless of where the errors lie, both methods require some config, either at the router or at the client, both allow for errors.

Yep, I know and mine has Sveasoft firmware too except that it's all pretty much redundant because it runs only as an AP. The reason I didn't bring up alternate firmware is simply because I figure that if someone can correctly configure a DHCP reservation, they can also change their firmware.

If they can't correctly configure a local IP address, I wouldn't go rushing to tell them to change firmware. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.