Can I use an WAG54G as a cable router?

This wag54g has 4 ethernet ports and a phone jack in the rear right, so I connected the cable coming from the cable modem to port 1 and connected port 2 to the computer. It works fine, now i tryed connecting my laptop , i get great reception but no access to internet. I went to 192.168.1.1, played around with it but no luck.

can anyone help me?

Reply to
Jett81
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Nope. Won't work. The WAG54G is a DSL router. That means it has a DSL modem, ethernet router, ethernet switch, and wireless access point all crammed into one package. If you had access to the connection between the DSL modem and the WAN side of the ethernet router, you could use it as an ordinary ethernet router. However, you don't and there's no way to get to it.

I presume you have a cable modem from your cable broadband ISP. You'll need to purchase a wireless router that does *NOT* have a DSL or cable modem built in.

Incidentally, what's inside your WAG54G:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
Jett81

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.