Can I use a CAT5 cable as a TV Coax cable?

I have a room that only has a CAT5 ran to it but I want to use that for the television (coax input)without running another cable

Is there an inexpensive way to turn the CAT5 cable into a coax cable? Perhaps some kind of adaptors on each end? The CAT5 cable doesn't have to be used for anything else other than displaying my tv channels.

Thanks in advance for the help

Reply to
pal
Loading thread data ...

You could always try one of those cheap 300 ohm twin-lead pigtail to 75 ohm coax transformers at each end.

Or use a video/power/data combiner (VPD) at about $65 each at each end.

formatting link
Video Power & Data Combiners (VPD) Video Combiners for Twisted Pair up to 1,000 feet ? Combine Video, Power and PTZ-Data over a Single Cat 5 Cable ? VPD Combiners simplify camera installation ? RJ45 Female or 110 Punchdown Block versions

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

A capital NO is the answer! Analog pictures will suck, digital won't work, and if you have a cable modem, it won't work either.

Check out this page: .

CIAO!

Ed N.

pal wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

There are balun adapters that convert analog TV (up to 55 or around that channels) but this is not really that simple a solution. The pair of those I know would cost you very much the same or slightly more than new coaxial cable and connectors plus some labor to install it.

I would say that in residential environment in a situation like yours it is wiser to use the single existing cable to pull a pull string to an accessible area (attic or basement, depends on your house) then tie the string to the original CAT5 and new RG6 coax cable and pull both those cables back to the outlet originally occupied by the CAT5 cable.

Good luck!

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

I'll agree with Ed there...my solution is better suited for a simple 5 Meg bandwidth video signal, not 800 Meg or so for commercial TV bandwidth.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

________________________________________________________________ As has already been established - NOT FOR MULTIPLE CHANNELS.

However, depending on your need, there may be another solution.

If you don't want to pull cable but you really do want TV in the room, connect a COMPOSITE wireless transmitter to a device in another room and put a COMPOSITE wireless receiver in your room to the TV. I used a set of these I got with an X10 camera from my living room to my garage (40 feet and three walls away) with good results. From living room to bedroom was crystal clear. Cost - about $60.00 set +/-

There are also cat5 to composite baluns available in places, but I haven't tried one.

The down side is that unless you have an RF remote on the device in the other room, you won't be able to change channels without leaving the room.

Dorral

formatting link

Reply to
google

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.