vpn for voice application

I'm setting up some MCK voip gateway/branch units to extend our PBX over an internet connection to a remote office. I don't need security, but rather a point-to-point connection, where the branch unit is on the same network as the gateway unit. Therefore, I need two hardware units pointed at one another. I have a static public IP at each location.

Recommendations? Have I provided enough info?

thank you,

jm

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

Done many a MCK like this. I do need a little more information/clarification.

When you say on the same network please tell me the subnet addressing in the two sites isn't the same. This could cause problems. I'll make some assumption, you can consider these recommendations as well.

Each site has a unique private subnet such as site-A=192.168.10.0 and site-B=192.168.25.0 Each site has more then one available fixed (static) public IP address. Each site has a good firewall (Cisco PIX or ASA, even a PIX 501 would do). Each site has sufficient bandwidth to support 100Kbps per active call, plus your internet traffic. Each site has a router that will provide prioritization (QoS) to your voice traffic, won't help over the internet but at lease your voice will get out ahead of the data traffic.

Normally I wouldn't recommend using an internet connection, since there is no QoS between sites you could get wildly varying performance and dropped connections. Definitely don't use it for client/customer calls, and internal calls only if they understand the possible problems.

In the firewall create a translation for the private IP of each MCK to an available Public IP. Allow inbound traffic for the UDP range and TCP used by the MCK. Unlike SIP, the MCK uses both UDP, for voice, and TCP, for signaling. You can get these from MCK. Point each MCK at the others Public address, and set a pass-code/password. That's really all there is to it.

Reply to
RC

I sincerely appreciate your reply. Here are some answers and further info.

That is the plan.

The main site has two fixed Ips (can likely get more if necessary); the remote site has only one.

The main site has a Sonicwall TZ 170; the remote site will have a Sonicwall SOHO3.

The main site has a dynamic T1 product capable of 1.2Mb/700Kb (down/up); the remote site has Bellsouth DSL being installed in a few days. In my experience, that will provide similar speeds, perhaps a bit slower, surely on the upload side. Two Norstar T7316 phones will be installed in the remote location. The voice traffic is light, and I expect simultaneous use of the phones only rarely. There will be two PCs in the remote office connected to the network. I need them connected via VPN so they can access an Excel spreadsheet on a workstation in the main location.

Not at this point. The Sonicwall is the only router in the main location, and so far I only have the Soho3 for the remote location.

I agree. I've done MCK and VoIP in general over p2p connections a few times, but only twice over internet - once with very good results and once with awful results. I'm hopeful that bandwidth and the low quantity of phones and the light voice traffic in general (in the remote office, anyway) are all on my side.

I have not thought of it this way. Are you suggesting one-to-one NAT (which indeed would necessitate at least two ip addresses at each location - one for voice, one for data)? Alternatively, would port forwarding work? Which raises another question I've never considered: Does port forwarding introduce delay to the traffic, perhaps making it a poor method for voice?

If I'm reading your suggestion correctly, then we don't really create a "vpn," but rather we point the MCK units at each other's static IP (which is accomplished via a public-to-private ip address translation) ??

Thank you again,

Jm

Reply to
JM

Hi Jim,

I still prefer switching to a dedicated VoIP Box for your case rather than using other general networking solutions. Go for Quintum ASM-200 with 2 x FXS and 2 x FXO ports or ASM-400 for higher density at each end, this all what you need.

Panda,

formatting link

Reply to
Panda

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.