cisco vpn client seems to collide with windows internet connection sharing.

Hello everybody!

Im running Win XP Pro.

As soon i install the Cisco VPN Client, the internet connection sharing does not work anymore (at least not fully).

In order to recover, i have to uninstall the client and even delete my Network Cards in the Hardware Panel, so they are detected and installed again on the next reboot.

Any ideas what im doing wrong? Are there any alternatives to the Cisco Client ?

Thank You in advance. Regardz, Michael

Reply to
Michal Idziorek
Loading thread data ...

One hopes you are running Win xp pro SP2!

You must use the Cisco client, I'll betcha.

If you belong to a "domain" then simple file sharing will not work.

Establish the cisco client then open file sharing.

I just got this to work with a SonicWall VPN.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Thanks for your prompt answer,

I run SP2 indeed.

The problem is not concerning file sharing, but the internet connection sharing in my LAN.

From time to time I want also to have access to the internet from the second computer in my "lan". I use: "internet connection sharing" on my main pc for this purpose.

However as soon as i install the cisco client on my main computer, the internet is not working on my secondary pc anymore. This problem is occuring whether or not, a vpn connection is estabilished.

I do not think that i belong to a domain. I just have to computers connected here locally. My main pc is connected to the internet. I want to use VPN to connect with my universities Network in order to gain access to some resources and publications (for which, an uni-ip is needed).

Rick Merrill schrieb:

Reply to
Michal Idziorek

So you are using the PC as a router. I doubt that this will work at the same time as a VPN is operating over one of the two (or more?) NIC on your computer.

Make life simple, and safer, get a router ($35 us).

Reply to
Rick Merrill

The cisco client has a built-in firewall -- right-click the icon in the systray.. and see if STATEFUL FIREWALL is check. By default I believe it's enabled.. you should disable it if you want to use netshares... There are other things I noticed that the cisco client is doing such as intercepting DHCP (not related to the built-in firewall) --- I've been using Zmesh along side with the Cisco Client -- works really well. Zmesh is a really nice easy-to-use vpn solution for beginners and experts and takes away all the complexities of voice chatting, file transferring, video conferencing, desktop sharing. Zmesh

formatting link

Reply to
season ace

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.