My dial-up modem fantasy

Hi:

My internet-access fantasy involves dial-up modem telecommunications technology devices which use PSK [Phase Shift Keying] as the modulation scheme. This too-good-to-be-true PSK uses only 1-symbol-per-second but with a Graham's-number amount of bits-per-symbol.

formatting link
's_number Now that is a lot of bits-per-baud!

If it were possible for such PSK to exist, what would be the disadvantages of it?

Thanks,

Radium

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]
Loading thread data ...

Hmmm...let me think. Since its not possible to exist, its a moot point in discussing any advantages or disadvantages

Reply to
DTC

Let's say it was possible to exist. What would be the drawbacks?

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

I think there's no point. The limited data resolution available to both older, analog phone lines and contemporary, digital phone lines sets a hard, hard limit on the available bandwidth for *ANYTHING* going over a phone line, and contemporary modems are already very close to that theoreticallimit. So switching people over to a new and entirely incompatible modem technology would provide no significant benefit.

Reply to
Nico Kadel-Garcia

The laws of physics would have changed, so the universe as we know it would cease to exist. Other than that, seems OK to me.

Reply to
John Levine

I hate when that happens.

-- Grant

Reply to
Grant Edwards
300 bps ought ta be enuff for neone...

Reply to
henry cabot henhouse III

sorry, those of us who clone advanced life forms in our supersonic colonic colliders don't like to talk about such things...ooops gotta run, the Interociter is whizzing...

Reply to
henry cabot henhouse III

Is that a quantum interociter or an n-field multiversal interociter? I've noticed that the latter really kick up a racket when the neutron-flow polarity gets out of whack.

Reply to
R.L. Horn

You're talking about bandwidth. A baud of 1-symbol-per-second uses only a small amount of bandwidth, regardless of the amount of bits-per-symbol. Right?

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

Wrong, but then trying to explain Shannon's Law to you would be a waste of bandwidth.

Aww...what the heck. I'll feed the troll.

Use of the word baud is outdated as it can't adequately reflect the additional data load achieved by advanced modulation techniques.

Technically speaking, 900 baud is the highest a standard "toll-quality" phone line will support. So how did they get 2400 baud modems to work? They didn't, they got 2400 bps modems to work. A 2400 bps modem is actually a 600 baud device; but using phase modulation, they got four different states per baud.

Do you really spend that much time on the john reading Popular Science?

Reply to
DTC

I know that.

Baud and bits-per-baud are two different things.

The only way the bit-rate is the same as the baud is if you have 1 bit per symbol. The 2400 bps using a 600 baud is derived using 4 bits per symbol. 6X4=24.

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

So back to my question.

Wouldn't a baud of 1-symbol-per-second use only 1 Hz of bandwidth regardless of the amount of bits-per-symbol?

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

Back to my original answer, NO. You really need to revisit Communications Theory 101.

Reply to
DTC

Depends on the modulation scheme, but basically yes. However, the number of states you can support depends on your noise floor. In order to get, say, 32768 bps over a 1 Hz channel, you would need a noise margin of:

32768 = 1 log_2 (1 + S/N)

log_2(1+S/N) = 32768

1+S/N = 2^32768

S/N = 2^32768-1 ~ 2^32768

log_10 S/N ~ log(2)/log(10) * 32768 ~ 9864

log_10 S/N ~ 9864 B = 98640 dB

Even if you're only limited by quantum noise, this still requires a trans-astronomical amount of power.

-hpa

Reply to
H. Peter Anvin

In the real world, what is the maximum amount of bits-per-symbol that can be achieved using PSK without exceeding the dynamic range of a phone line?

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

Lets dispense with confusing references to bits, symbols, phase shift keying, etc. and get down to the nitty gritty....

Answer: About 48 Kbps data rate.

Reply to
DTC

Well, given the fact that most telephone circuits are digitized to

64 kbps at the central office, that is an absolute maximum.

The copper lines themselves are obviously capable of much higher capacity with a suitable change of equipment at the central office. This is the technical basis for ISDN and DSL.

-hpa

Reply to
H. Peter Anvin

I am specifically interested in the bits-per-symbol only. I wasn't asking about the date rate -- i.e. the 48 Kbps you described. I am asking only about the bits-per-baud.

Assuming a baud of only 1-symbol-per-second, what is the maximum amount of bits-per-symbol that can be achieved using PSK without exceeding the dynamic range of a phone line?

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

I believe the maximum using any encoding should be in the neighborhood of 8 bits. That's assuming an SNR of around 24dB, which is...optimistic. In practice, a fairly conservative figure of 20dB is often seen, which yields

6.66 (oooh, spooky) bits in 1 Hz of bandwidth (or 26.6kbps in 4kHz).

V.90 manages better than that, but it requires one end be connected directly to a digital trunk.

Reply to
R.L. Horn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.