Re: Sabotage attacks knock out phone service [Telecom]

How many "geeks" these days know what a SWR is let alone what to do about >it?

I do. But then again, I'm a balding grey-haired 72-year-old "geek." When I worked for Bell Labs designing broad-band microwave systems, we used return loss rather than SWR, because the numbers made it easier to visualize what was happening. We had to keep each individual echo to about 70 dB below the signal. This translated to a 35 dB return-loss requirement for each component. In SWR terms, that was

1.035. One day, we visited a manufacturer of waveguide parts: bends, transitions, etc. They were used to SWR's of 1.2, and couldn't believe that we were serious about 35 dB retun losses. But that's what it took to transmit 1860 multiplexed voice circuits with low intermod noise, and later 3 DS-3's using 64QAM modulation with adequate fade margin, over a 30-MHz wide 6 GHz channel 3000 miles from coast to coast.

Dick Grady, AC7EL

Reply to
Richard
Loading thread data ...

Ahh yes, I recall building an audio return-loss bridge sometime in the late 1970's. I think I still had my 27Mhz SWR Meter until about 5 years ago.... (48 year old geek here.....)

Reply to
David Clayton

Yes, but back then, SOME waveguide manufacturers published tuning procedures which involved banging on waveguide sections with a hammer until the return loss hit a certain amount. Problem with that is that once you've bent it you can't easily bend it back....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

"This is expensive high-tech equipment, so don't force it - just hit it harder!" :-)

Reply to
David Clayton

Au contraire!

[from my signature date file]

-- Julian Thomas: snipped-for-privacy@jt-mj.net

formatting link
In the beautiful Genesee Valley of Western New York State! -- -- The sad thing about Windows bashing is it's all true.

Reply to
Julian Thomas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.