[Telecom] cancellation of phone service

Isn't there a law (Fed, MA) that prohibits turning off someone phone, even for non-payment, without due process of some sort, especially if the person is over 62?

Now, what if that person uses VoIP and forgot to pay their internet bill? Do the same rules apply and how is it enforced?

Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

I don't think there is any law on age. There may be a law if the person is disabled.

Laws on this vary by state, as does programs to subsidize phone bills for those who can't afford them.

I would suggest you look in the front section of your local phone directory. There are usually details on all the rules about service and disconnection and what due process there might be. If you are in dispute with them, mail them stuff via Certified Mail and keep copies of correspondance.

I had a b**** of a time with them over my mother's phone service. She was unpaid, but the phoneco wouldn't talk to me, _only_ to her and she was ill. I couldn't find out how much she owed or where to mail it to. One day she was able to talk, give them her password, and give them permission for me to represent them.

AFAIK there aren't any protections for Internet service or VOIP. Whatever protections there are usually apply just to what they define as 'basic' service.

Reply to
hancock4

In my opinion These laws now apply to ISP companies when customers have VoIP in MA.

- Rick Merrill

formatting link
[partial exerpt:]

25.05: Termination of Service to Elderly Persons

(1) Identifying Elderly Persons. Each company shall devise procedures and methods reasonably designed to identify, before termination of service for non-payment, accounts affecting households in which all residents are 65 years of age or older. Such procedures shall be submitted by each company in writing to the Department. The Department may require, by written notification, such modifications of the company's procedures as it considers reasonably necessary to carry out the purposes of M.G.L. c. 164, ' 124E and M.G.L. c. 165, ' 1B and of

220 CMR 25.00.

(2) Third Party Notification. If a customer 65 years of age or older so desires, the company shall provide to a third person designated by such customer notification of all past due bills [see 220 CMR

25.02(1)], notices of termination of service, and notices of right to a hearing at before the Department. In no event shall the third party so notified be liable for the account of the customer. Each company shall devise procedures reasonably designed to provide a voluntary system of third party notification for all customers 65 years of age or older. Such procedures shall be submitted by each company in writing to the Department. The Department may require, by a written notification, such modifications of a company's procedures as it considers reasonably necessary to carry out the purposes of M.G.L. c. 164, ' 124E and M.G.L. c. 165, ' 1B and of 220 CMR 25.00.
Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.