Programming First Alert Pro FA168CPS Alarm Panel

I recently bought a house with an alarm system and I want to change some of the zone programming.

The alarm panel is a First Alert Pro FA-168CPS and I have the programming manual and can get into programming mode and change things. Unfortunately, my keypad is not an alpha-numberic one and so I can't program the zones.

The programming manual mentions the Compass software so I was hoping that I could do the zone programming using this. I downloaded Compass

1.5.8.54 and the First Alert Pro Canadian Personality disk (I live in Canada). The problem is that when I start up Compass, the First Alert Panels do not appear in the list of panels.

Do I need any other software to get Compass to work with my panel? Can I connect Compass up to my panel directly without using a telephone line? Is there any special programming I need to do to the panel to get it to work with Compass? Is there any other way to do the zone programming without an alpha- numeric keypad?

I asked First Alert these questions and they simply referred me to a local dealer. I asked the local dealer and he only wanted to sell me alarm monitoring service. Can anybody help?

Reply to
neilmgunn
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried a rocket scientist?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

They're not smart enough. js

Reply to
Buggs

The funny thing is that although there are none in ASA, I have a fair number of clients who actually *are* rocket scientists. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass
287$Ya1.142@trnddc06...

You realize don't you that rocket scientists may be plenty smart, when it comes to making things work they get a mechanic to do the work.

My grandfather retired from NASA. He was a research mechanic. Basically when some egghead want to do an experiment or test something they would call my gramps and ask him how to do it.

-- Bob La Londe Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River Fishing Forums & Contests

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You mean that with "24 years" running a "modestly successful central station alarm company", Bass may have actually had to *hire* installers and service techs to do the actual work?? GASP!!! That sort of explains a lot.

I want to put an old Volvo into orbit... What's your "Gramps" email address? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Gonna be cheaper for you to buy a keypad to program with than trying to get Compass to work locally...cause you'll need the proper modem (hard to find) and a dial tone emulator...programming keypad's cheaper.

Then it's just a simple matter of reading and understanding the install/programming manual to make the changes you want.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You forgot to mention that it isn't "Rocket Science".

Reply to
Frank Olson

And a degree in Alarmglish to understand some of the manuals.

| > Then it's just a simple matter of reading and understanding the | > install/programming manual to make the changes you want. | | | You forgot to mention that it isn't "Rocket Science".

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I wonder how you got the "First Alert Pro Canadian Personality Disk" since the U.S. version seems tough to come by.

Reply to
Just Looking

It is?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The Canadian personality disk can be found on this page:

formatting link
Here is a direct link:
formatting link
Does anyone have a link the the US disk or can you email it to me?

Thanks. Neil.

Reply to
neilmgunn

The Ademco Vista panels and the First Alert Panels are the same system, same panel different package. So the programing of a FA 168 is the same as a Vista 168 Jeff Richerson

Reply to
amperry1112

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.