Napco Gem-P3200 Daylight Saving Time

My Napco board is 10 years old and uses the old dates for changing to Daylight Saving and Standard times.

I have a VER 11E micro that will correct that problem but I don't know how to install it. The local alarm company couldn't care less and Napco tech support doesn't support users, only professionals.

Do I replace the micro with both AC and battery disconnected? And if I do this myself will I lose all current programming and end up with a non-working system?

Reply to
David B
Loading thread data ...

light Saving and Standard times.

w to install it. The local alarm company couldn't care less and Napco tech support doesn't support users, only professionals.

this myself will I lose all current programming and end up with a non-work ing system?

Do you have access to the dealer programming via the Napco Quickloader and do you know how to program the panel? If not, then don't change the micropr ocessor.

If you do, then power down the panel. Before you take the chip out of the protective bag, make sure you have grou nded yourself to the alarm panel. While changing and handling the chip don' t be doing anything that would cause static electricity to build up between you and anything else .... mainly the alarm panel.

I'm presuming that you don't have a chip extractor or inserter.

Before beginning to remove the old chip, make sure you note which end of th e chip the key mark is on. You don't want to put the new chip in backwards.

The old chip needs to be pried out VERY CAREFULLY without bending any of th e pins. Pry a little from one side then a little from the other side and gr adually remove the chip from the socket.

Once removed, put it in the protective bag that the new chip came in. Keep it, just in case something goes wrong while or after the new chip is instal led.

Take a look at the angle of the pins on the new chip. You'll notice that th e pins are spread wider than the holes in the socket.

Lay the pin side of the new chip down with the pins down, up against a hard surface.(table, etc) You have to bend all of the pins simultaneously just slightly inward to try and make them form a right angle with the chip. If y ou bend them too much inward, it's difficult to straighten them back again. So just bend them ever so slightly ..... first one side of the chip .... a nd then the other ..... so that the pins will line up with the holes in the chip socket.

Line the new chip up with the socket, make sure all the pins are lined up w ith the holes in a socket. If you're not careful, one of more of the chip p ins can bend and it's a bear to try and straighten them out and you could p ossibly brake or damage a pin beyond repair. Push down with even pressure a ll the while noting that none of the pins are bending.

Once you install the new chip. power up the panel and now you can go into p rogramming to review all of your settings to make sure noting has changed.

If it doesn't work, you can always reinstall the old chip. BUT .... in any case, if you don't have access to the dealer programming, don't change the chip.

Reply to
Jim

aylight Saving and Standard times.

how to install it. The local alarm company couldn't care less and Napco tec h support doesn't support users, only professionals.

do this myself will I lose all current programming and end up with a non-wo rking system?

d do you know how to program the panel? If not, then don't change the micro processor.

ounded yourself to the alarm panel. While changing and handling the chip do n't be doing anything that would cause static electricity to build up betwe en you and anything else .... mainly the alarm panel.

the chip the key mark is on. You don't want to put the new chip in backward s.

the pins. Pry a little from one side then a little from the other side and gradually remove the chip from the socket.

p it, just in case something goes wrong while or after the new chip is inst alled.

the pins are spread wider than the holes in the socket.

rd surface.(table, etc) You have to bend all of the pins simultaneously jus t slightly inward to try and make them form a right angle with the chip. If you bend them too much inward, it's difficult to straighten them back agai n. So just bend them ever so slightly ..... first one side of the chip .... and then the other ..... so that the pins will line up with the holes in t he chip socket.

with the holes in a socket. If you're not careful, one of more of the chip pins can bend and it's a bear to try and straighten them out and you could possibly brake or damage a pin beyond repair. Push down with even pressure all the while noting that none of the pins are bending.

programming to review all of your settings to make sure noting has changed .

y case, if you don't have access to the dealer programming, don't change th e chip.

Thanks, Jim for your very complete reply.

No, I don't have a Quickloader and wouldn't know how to use it if I did. Fr om your answer I surmise that yes, I will lose all my programmed data if I remove the old chip. I was hoping that the settings may have been retained in a capacitor or elsewhere for a short time while I did the switch out. If they are, I would like to give it a try. If not, I will have to look for p rofessional service from someone in or near Corpus Christi, Texas.

Thanks again for your helpful advise.

Reply to
David B

Daylight Saving and Standard times.

w how to install it. The local alarm company couldn't care less and Napco t ech support doesn't support users, only professionals.

I do this myself will I lose all current programming and end up with a non- working system?

and do you know how to program the panel? If not, then don't change the mic roprocessor.

grounded yourself to the alarm panel. While changing and handling the chip don't be doing anything that would cause static electricity to build up bet ween you and anything else .... mainly the alarm panel.

f the chip the key mark is on. You don't want to put the new chip in backwa rds.

f the pins. Pry a little from one side then a little from the other side an d gradually remove the chip from the socket.

eep it, just in case something goes wrong while or after the new chip is in stalled.

t the pins are spread wider than the holes in the socket.

hard surface.(table, etc) You have to bend all of the pins simultaneously j ust slightly inward to try and make them form a right angle with the chip. If you bend them too much inward, it's difficult to straighten them back ag ain. So just bend them ever so slightly ..... first one side of the chip .. .. and then the other ..... so that the pins will line up with the holes in the chip socket.

up with the holes in a socket. If you're not careful, one of more of the ch ip pins can bend and it's a bear to try and straighten them out and you cou ld possibly brake or damage a pin beyond repair. Push down with even pressu re all the while noting that none of the pins are bending.

to programming to review all of your settings to make sure noting has chang ed.

any case, if you don't have access to the dealer programming, don't change the chip.

From your answer I surmise that yes, I will lose all my programmed data if I remove the old chip. I was hoping that the settings may have been retaine d in a capacitor or elsewhere for a short time while I did the switch out. If they are, I would like to give it a try. If not, I will have to look for professional service from someone in or near Corpus Christi, Texas.

If you can get someone to upload the programming in your panel, you can cha nge the chip and then they can download the programming back into the panel and set the DLS parameters for you. I'd offer to do it for you but I'd sug gest that you have someone local do it in the event there's a problem. If t he panel locked up or failed for some reason, it would likely take someone to physically go to your home to reset the panel. I'm in New York ..... alt hough ...... hmmmm I've never been to Corpus Christi. Are you willing to ri sk a 1st class round trip ticket to get your panel programmed ????? :-))

Reply to
Jim

to Daylight Saving and Standard times.

now how to install it. The local alarm company couldn't care less and Napco tech support doesn't support users, only professionals.

f I do this myself will I lose all current programming and end up with a no n-working system?

r and do you know how to program the panel? If not, then don't change the m icroprocessor.

e grounded yourself to the alarm panel. While changing and handling the chi p don't be doing anything that would cause static electricity to build up b etween you and anything else .... mainly the alarm panel.

of the chip the key mark is on. You don't want to put the new chip in back wards.

of the pins. Pry a little from one side then a little from the other side and gradually remove the chip from the socket.

Keep it, just in case something goes wrong while or after the new chip is installed.

hat the pins are spread wider than the holes in the socket.

a hard surface.(table, etc) You have to bend all of the pins simultaneously just slightly inward to try and make them form a right angle with the chip . If you bend them too much inward, it's difficult to straighten them back again. So just bend them ever so slightly ..... first one side of the chip .... and then the other ..... so that the pins will line up with the holes in the chip socket.

d up with the holes in a socket. If you're not careful, one of more of the chip pins can bend and it's a bear to try and straighten them out and you c ould possibly brake or damage a pin beyond repair. Push down with even pres sure all the while noting that none of the pins are bending.

into programming to review all of your settings to make sure noting has cha nged.

n any case, if you don't have access to the dealer programming, don't chang e the chip.

. From your answer I surmise that yes, I will lose all my programmed data i f I remove the old chip. I was hoping that the settings may have been retai ned in a capacitor or elsewhere for a short time while I did the switch out . If they are, I would like to give it a try. If not, I will have to look f or professional service from someone in or near Corpus Christi, Texas.

hange the chip and then they can download the programming back into the pan el and set the DLS parameters for you. I'd offer to do it for you but I'd s uggest that you have someone local do it in the event there's a problem. If the panel locked up or failed for some reason, it would likely take someon e to physically go to your home to reset the panel. I'm in New York ..... a lthough ...... hmmmm I've never been to Corpus Christi. Are you willing to risk a 1st class round trip ticket to get your panel programmed ????? :-))

Jim, I just checked this bulletin board again since Daylight Savings Time i s getting closer. How about if I take the panel off the wall and bring it t o New York? :-)

Seriously, I will give in and call the local NAPCO guy. I will tell him wha t you suggested and watch him closely since I don't think he knows much. Th ank you again for your help.

Dave

Reply to
David B

I just back from NY, going to CC would be a nice break in the weather, but that's about it. If you want to enjoy the local "culture" in CC, find an authentic Mexican restaurant in NY - about and hour is all the "culture" you'll need!

If you like to go salt water fishing, CC is fine, but so is Galveston for day trips on a charter boat.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.