equipment recommendation

what technology does this system use? i dont know of any AM/FM stations within range of this place, and certainly no cell service. thanks,

-- Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier
Loading thread data ...

I hope it's waterproof... :^)

Uhhh, TMI.

Perfect. I assume the biometric lock gives you instantaneous access, no? The reason I ask is some folks insist that keeping the guns locked makes them less useful in an emergency. That's a reasonable argument but if the biometric option opens instantly that problem is solved.

Agreed. BTW, I recently wateched one of those true cop stories involving a really bad guy being tracked across Montana by some really determined cops. They eventually got him but not before he killed or wounded a lot of innocent people.

Who stopped him? An unarmed rancher and his well-armed son. They actually set him up. Before he saw them the father handed the son the rifle, then carefully approached the guy while the son circled around and got the drop on him.

I can't imagine the horror she lives with.

None of this would help me. I've messed around (with guidance) at firing ranges a few times. I can't shoot for beans.

The pillow or the gun?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

pfft...its a glock. :-)

the biometric is ALMOST instant, and i woudlnt have that if i werent already armed with my sidearm. i am against locking up the only weapon you have available due to the time it can take to retrieve it. see

formatting link
for a small video segment that serves as an example of why you dont want your only gun locked away. in fact, had this gentleman been wearing his sidearm this could have ended very differently. instead he had to "run get his gun" and this cost him time that ultimately cost him his life.

-- Nathan In Montana

formatting link

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

By now you've probably come to the realization that I know very little about guns. Allow me to save my friends the trouble of adding, "...or much of anything else." :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I am the opposite.

I keep mine in a safe, unloaded, but with 2 loaded clips in the safe with it ... so it would be a simple matter of inserting the clip and pulling on the slide (double action-only). I don't feel comfortable having it "on me" at all times. And I don't want to set a loaded pistol on the kitchen counter either. I also would never keep "one in the chamber". I can pull the slide in less than a second and the Sigma has no external safety, so it's very dangerous to keep one in the chamber.

Yes, it will take me 20-30 seconds to get it at most. And in the case of home invasion like the video, I'll never make it in time. But the alternative of having a loaded gun just laying around just isn't an option I'd be willing to explore. I'm sure as hell am not going to wear a holster while I'm relaxing in my home.

In the case of that example video, the man would almost have to already have it in his hands, pointing at the door, before the BG's could do any harm.

I don't want the chance of ANYONE besides me or my G/F being able to get to it. If I just have it on the counter, any visitor (repairman, neighbors, friends stopping by) could pick it up.

Reply to
G. Morgan

There may be times when you don't want G/F to have ready access. :^)

As to the possible threats:

We have at least one Florida panther in an undeveloped area not too far from where I live. I only know this because several people have seen it. These are rare, endangered cats and from what I've read, very shy of humans. However, they do have very large teeth. I can see someone living closer to the "wilderness" area of the county having a concern. Although I've heard of a cougar attack (in California, I think) in a suburban neighborhood, I'm pretty sure I'm safe in my back yard. Two-legged predators are more likely to be a problem here although AFAIK, there hasn't even been a home burglary in years.

As to safe storage:

I have no problem with the gentleman's decision to keep his guns the way he does. To me it seems a bit extreme, but as long as they're locked when not undr his direct control, each to his own.

Although the dialogue hasn't always been pleasant, it's been intresting reading the diversity of opinions here over the years.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.