wireless bridge recommendation

I'm interested in bridging two office buildings together via a wireless bridge, that uses encryption other than WEP. Is there a point-to- point product that uses either WPA or proprietary encryption?

regards, Jay

Reply to
nordic mist
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:35:42 -0800 (PST), nordic mist wrote in :

WPA is what you should use, with a very strong passphrase. I use and recommend Buffalo high-power devices. You'll want a wireless access point at one end, and a wireless Ethernet client bridge at the other. You may need directional and/or outdoor antennas.

Reply to
John Navas

Whats your budget? There are tons of options available. Like John said the Buffalo stuff is good however it is not commercial grade. Check out some of the stuff on

formatting link
and see if you can find something for your purpose. I've used the EZ3+ from them and it works well if integrated radio antenna is what you want. If you need more gain and like modular than you'll want something like LiteStation 2 with a Grid antenna from them.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Only problem with Buffalo is that they are not for sale in US right now. Next best choice? Linksys "L"? Senao? Belkin?

Reply to
seaweedsteve

I have to add that although Buffalo is not "commercial grade" I can't see what it's missing, apart from a more flexible firmware, which DD- WRT provides. Our Buffalo has certainly been rock solid in a year of use (DD-WRT).

Might say that the Engenius/Senao is "commercial grade".

If I did want to buy a buffalo right now, I'd go to the DD-WRT shop and buy one pre-flashed with DD-WRT from Europe (where they can still sell them.

It will end up costing about the same as Engenious equivalent shipped, but may be easier to set up and comes with bandwidth monitoring.

Then again, the Engenious EOC ...(?) has the all-in-one bridge/antenna/ weatherproof box. Buy two of them, and they are ready to go. For the buffalo, I 'd get two Rootennas to install them in for an equivalent solution.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Now that I look at them, those "EZ-3 plus" do look good! Any experience with them? I can't tell if they will bridge without WDS. So far, in DD-WRT I prefer to use a standard Bridge mode and not WDS....

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:48:18 -0800 (PST), seaweedsteve wrote in :

Belkin

Reply to
John Navas

I wonder how many people made a claim against them.

formatting link

Reply to
LR

There is also the Dlink2100AP. I use a pair to bridge a 50 Metre run between two offices.

Reply to
Cromwell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.