Get TN without toning the line?

We just moved into a temporary space and I need to configure one of the phones. As this move was done quickly, in the wee hours, we don't have a good map of TNs to phones. Is there a way I can determine the TN for an unassigned phone from the phone without toning the line back to the switch? Is there some secret code I can push on the keypad?

The system is an Option11C with M3904 phones.

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

This is a little round-about but it will get you the TN. First, call another display phone to determine it's DN (assuming the key on the M-3904 doesn't carry the DN, of course!) Then print the DNB for that DN - you'll get a list of all the TNs and key numbers on which that DN appears. That should make clear what TN you're dealing with. Doing this there's confusion only if there are two (or more) identical sets. And if there are two or more such sets just disable the specified TNs one by one until your "target" one of them set goes dead.

Old DanRay systems had the feature you asked for but, when Nortel bought DanRay and put it to sleep, that was one of the features that didn't survive!

Al

Reply to
Al Gillis

Rather than using the process of elimination by disabling TNs you can also use the TRAC command in LD 80 to identify the TN. Once you know the DN, make a call from that phone and in LD 80 type TRAC 0 DN. (Assuming 0 is your customer number.) This will show you the active call information including the originating and terminating TN.

-Art

Reply to
Five99999

Does the phone work, or is it just showing the time?

In LD 20 Do

LDIS 0 LDIS 1 LDIS 2

This will show the disabled phones in each cabinet.

Reply to
acewarlock

I got it to work once I forced every disabled port on every card to try to re-enable itself. From there, an extension showed up. After that, it was easy. Oh, how I hate the arcane management interfaces of this phone system.

Reply to
Steve

It's not the interface, it's the user. A trained Tech wouldn't have any trouble.

Reply to
acewarlock

You know, I was going to say something similar. I don't care if it's Nortel, Lucent, Siemens, NEC, Mitel, or any other switch that I might, or might not be familiar with. Just because you can tinker with the switch via the terminal, it doesn't mean that you should. In fact from you statements, and inability to determine something as straightforward as a disabled port, you've proven you' shouldn't be trying to pass yourself off as capable of handling it. Playing with the switch, and then griping about the interface because you've got no clue what you are doing is pretty funny. Nortel and the rest have had command line interfaces long before the pretty GUI based interfaces that have come out. That interface allows for very flexible configuration for those that know what they're doing.

Reply to
Bob

But now he knows how to do it. Being trained is nice, but everything I am school trained on is long gone. What I work on now ( mostly key systems) was learnt by reading the book, analogs, playing with the equipment, and asking for help.

TerryS.

Reply to
Terry

I'm not a trained tech. I don't want to be a trained tech. We have 70 people. Why should I need a trained tech for that?

I'm the organization's CTO and I inherited this phone system. I have deep system admin and programming experience; I know how to work with equipment. I might still remember how to boot a PDP system from the paddle switches. The point is that I shouldn't need a trained tech for fairly mundane things. I do have a service contract with a company that, when then can remember to dispatch some one, can get things done. But not one of those technicians has been willing to explain how it works using the various server interfaces we purchased with the system. They do it with LD XX stuff.

We paid about $120,000 for this phone system 4 years ago. The best offer I can find when I've tried to sell it doesn't cover my depreciation.

Reply to
Steve

Hang in there, your time is coming. Of course certain brands are very tightly controlled, partly for reliability reasons and partly economical. It won't mean anything to you, but to phone people that may read this, when I started in the phone business each line had T,R,A,A1,LG and L, PBXs used XY dial and crossbar switching. Now I carry around a laptop, have to worry about IP addresses, can do a lot on the net, at home, in my skivvies, with coffee and a cigarette. The technology is passing me by, time to go fishing. Your telephone system and your computer network can be one and the same. And maintained in the same fasion.

TerryS

Reply to
Terry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.