Z-Wave RF range

If Z-Wave passes my test (nodes about evenly spaced

switches, dimmers and fan controllers inside the house,

If it is required to install a reasonable spread of other modules acting as repeaters then the manufacturers need to tell that to potential customers in clear words. I hope they don't bury that in the fine print since that would lead to lots of "It don't work" returns.

deliberate misrepresentations with which I took issue.

beautiful Chevy conversion van I once owned, however,

Removing the engine from one of those doesn't look like fun. It's so tight in there.

there. Every industry always has problems. I choose

picky. Our stuff has to work. All the time, even

lead to a nasty lawsuit or at least cause some FDA

It's happened.

"That didn't sound normal!". My wife told me never to

don't do that anymore.

and my son in the back seat. At first I thought he had

didn't want him to scare my son) as I went through

forward to put it in best glide speed, checked all the

When I'd completed the check list I asked the CFI,

kill my engine.

yoke button and said, "Mayday, mayday, mayday. This

landing approximately 18 miles West of Brainard Airport. I

Center replied, telling me to squawk 7700 which I had

small airplanes. BTW, there's a guy we know who claims

his pet theory about a fatal airline accident. He

guy never flew anything bigger than a paper airplane, of

Ouch. There is another guy at the s.e.d. newsgroup who had to nail his fully occupied Cessna down on a freeway.

On the AA flight we got a real VIP reception. All the fire engines and ambulances Frankfurt could muster seemed to be there. And they cleared the whole FRA airspace for us. Imagine that, it's a hub like Chicago.

method doesn't use tar any more. It's a peel and

Our roofer offered that as well. After the down payment, of course, because it would have cost more. I looked at it and decided to go with the usual 30 pound felt double-layered. Not just because of price. Someone from Sweden told me that builders over there are going back to felt. Don't remenber the reason, maybe rot or mold underneath because it doesn't breathe and moisture can condensate on the underside (that touches the wood).

There was a discussion to change that but that could take north of 200 years :-)

We just don't like movies with violence in there. Ok, I confess, I do like Westerns.

Reply to
Joerg
Loading thread data ...

Actually, they do. That is very prominent in all of the literature I've read on Z-Wave. It isn't considered a weak point but a feature.

Not at all. In promoting the mesh RF network concept, Z-Wave manufacturers make a point of explaining this. When you think about it this is actually to their advantage. It encourages people to buy more devices.

That's OK as long as there are no wires running across the highway. The problem is wires are invisible until you get real close.

I heard a story (don't know if it's true or not) about Frankfurt, Germany's ATC being really rude. As the story has it, sometime in the late 40's a US pilot landed his 4-prop airliner, crossed the hold short line and stopped to check the airport chart (the taxiways were something of a maze at the time).

An angry ground controller barked, "American Boeing ######! Vat are you do-ink"?

Pilot: "Ah, sir, I've stopped my airplane."

ATC: "Vhy haff you shtopped your airplane zair"?

Pilot: "Ah, sir, I'm checking the chart to see how to get top the ramp."

ATC: "Haff you neffer been to Frankfurt before???"

Pilot: "Ah, yes sir. We came by several times in '42 but we didn;t stop."

The price is the same here no matter which material you choose. The major cost is the tile. The new surface is less flammable (I think it's fiberglass and something else) than tar and felt. AFAIK, the latter is pretty noxious stuff when it burns but that didn't enter into the choice of material for me. The new stuff supposedly lasts longer. At $40,000 for a replacement job, I want this stuff to outlast me. :^)

I'd be a little skeptical of that information if I were you. The biggest problem is moisture from precipitation coming through -- not moisture accumulating underneath. In fact, if the attic moisture barrier above the ceiling is properly installed there really shouldn't be a condensation issue for the wood beneath the roof.

Heck, by then they will have destroyed the place anyway.

The problem with westerns is that victims always get right up again. It teaches children that there are no real consequences of violence. One amazing thing in this country is that the FCC gets its panties in a knot over a 2-second flash of an aging rock star's bosom but no one even bats an eye over all movies like Matrix and Jurassic Park is considered children's fare. Go figure.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

on Z-Wave. It isn't considered a weak point but a

A feature? Ahem, well, ok.

make a point of explaining this. When you think about

But it closes your sales funnel towards most people who don't want so much automation right now. Like us ;-)

problem is wires are invisible until you get real close.

AFAIR he had a hard time stopping before hitting a bridge pillar and dinged the left wing a bit.

ATC being really rude. As the story has it, sometime in

line and stopped to check the airport chart (the

:-)

Usually they are friendly I heard. The Air Force base is right next to FRA. Or at least used to be.

cost is the tile. The new surface is less flammable (I

latter is pretty noxious stuff when it burns but that

lasts longer. At $40,000 for a replacement job, I want

problem is moisture from precipitation coming through --

above the ceiling is properly installed there really

Well, all I've seen is some test reports by universities and the gvt over there. But it's been a while. IIRC the gist was that they often concluded that the new stuff isn't better than the old, and sometimes it's supposedly worse.

Moisture getting in was never a problem on our previous roof. Wood shake and double-felted. Even after 35 years the felt looked quite pristine. I was very surprised when the tore it up. The main reason why we did the roof was fire danger and the fact that insurance would become harder to obtain after some stupid kid started a fire a few miles from us and it got a bit out of control for a while. And yeah, it cost us almost $30k but now we have a metal roof that looks like the old shake roof. Nice. There are some WWII buildings in England that have been done the same way and without any modern plastics stuff. The roofs are still fine 60 years later.

teaches children that there are no real consequences of

in a knot over a 2-second flash of an aging rock

Jurassic Park is considered children's fare. Go figure.

Not in the really good ones. My all time favorite is "Once Upon a Time in the West". Enio Moricone's music alone is worth it.

Reply to
Joerg

cost is the tile. The new surface is less flammable (I

latter is pretty noxious stuff when it burns but that

lasts longer. At $40,000 for a replacement job, I want

good idea. what'd you get a 2 year warranty? :^(

Reply to
Frog

That's not hype though. The mesh network is indeed a feature. It represents a major improvement over standard RF (non-repeating) technology.

Not really. I don't specialize in lighting control products. In fact, I only recently decided to start carrying them. Over the next few weeks I plan to add several lines of Z-Wave plus UPB to my website. I sell lots of HA systems but I really don't want to sell X10 and I won't even consider Insteon due to the company's behavior.

Coincidentally, I just spoke to my cousin this afternoon. He told me he's really PO'd at one of his flying colleagues. Apparently the guy has twice recently left the front cowling snap (Gruman Tiger) unsecured during flight and this week he pushed the airplane into the hangar with one of the doors 8 feet in. He bent the aeleron and now they need to check for possible hidden damage. At least he didn't try to snap-roll a 737. Heh, heh, heh. Imagine someone dumb enough to tell such a lie.

Well, yes. Now they're our allies. We bailed them out for 40 years while the USSR was around.

issue for the

Excellent!

Reply to
Robert L Bass

a major improvement over standard RF (non-repeating)

But it can require people to set up the mesh before it works. Not my preference, really.

[...]

really PO'd at one of his flying colleagues. Apparently

unsecured during flight and this week he pushed the airplane

they need to check for possible hidden damage. At

enough to tell such a lie.

We have some strange pilots here as well. I really get miffed about the dare-devils that come at our house with a full load and hanging on the prop. Just to save 15sec or so. One minor cough in the engine and it'll be a fireball. They do the same over the eastern hill and that has cost one of them and his wife their lives. That's not the only fatal we've had :-(

Reply to
Joerg

Not necessarily. Start with the controller and one device, installed within range. Build out from there.

Oh, this guy is no pilot -- just a bullsh*tter extraordinaire.

A number of years ago while I was driving back to Sarasota from Orlando I noticed what appeared to be an ultra-light doing aerobatics about a mile or so West of I-75. The pilot would climb several thousand feet, execute a power on stall and enter a spin. He recovered and repeated this several times. Finally he entered one more spin and some trees blocked my view. Not seeing him climb back up I assumed he had gone straight and level and left the area. The next day I heard on the news that an experimental had gone down in the area with a fatality.

I don't think he was doing something foolish -- just risky. Something went wrong. We'll probably never know precisely what it was. Sad.

Note: The guy I was talking about in a previous post doesn't pull anything but folks' legs. He wouldn't know how to fly a 737 or anything else in a million years. You'll see him posting stuff here every so often.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

his pet theory about a fatal airline accident. He

guy never flew anything bigger than a paper airplane, of

I can think of a number of possible responses, but I prefer to use Robert's OWN words:

"Unfortunately, that is also very much in character. Robert has made it a habit to deliberately misconstrue, misrepresent and (not too infrequently), to tell outright lies. I have no room for hatred, even for Robert Bass. However, any respect he might have garnered by posting some helpful information was forfeited due to his dishonesty."

Or:

"I guess it's hard for Mr. Bass to carry on a discussion without resorting to grade-school insults."

Reply to
Frank Olson

folks' legs. He wouldn't know how to fly a 737 or

Hey bAss,

Frank has a PPL, do you?

I know Frank's name, address, and employer Cein. You want it?

heh,, not on your life.

In fact... I have the deed agreement for your house... Want that posted? It has your SS#, and Dan and Rose's.

Keep up your stalking.....

Reply to
G. Morgan

why not? that would not be as bad as what he's done to you. paybacks are hell Oly Anderson :)

Reply to
Frog

but folks' legs. He wouldn't know how to fly a 737 or

poison pink lemon?

Reply to
Frog

Private Pilot License

Reply to
Steve

He's not licensed and never has been.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Prove it!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.