Re: Mixed network question

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I haven't been able to put it all together yet and thought I would ask you fine folks here :)

I was wondering if I could have my wireless router Linksys WRT54G support both DHCP Dynamic Ip assignment as well as a static ip's in the same network. My reason is simple, my new employer which provides a laptop for support uses only Dynamic assigned address through their network and I would like to use my broadband connections which is connected to my own personal network which I have static Ip address assigned. Is this possible to mix the two types of ip assignments under one router (or two). I also have another router Linksys BEFSR41 which I am willing to integrate into the system to accomplish the task if need be.

Any thoughts?

FM

Reply to
Father Merrin
Loading thread data ...

What does the documentation say? What do Linksys support say?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Yes. I believe the Linksys can provide DHCP addresses within the same network of static IP's. However if your employer has provided you with a laptop that must use a DHCP assigned address, how do (did) they expect you to connect to their LAN over the Internet? Certainly they didn't just toss a laptop to you, tell you it uses DHCP and expect you to figure it out on your own, or did they? Something is missing from the scenario you've described, perhaps the implementation of a VPN?

Reply to
Don Kelloway

"Don Kelloway" wrote in news:R6N_f.3108$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I will dig further into the Linksys documentation to try and uncover the configuration I need to support both connection methods. Your correct, they expect that the connection will be made through a VPN tunnel and that the average "home network" is configured to support DHCP addressing (I asked). The access methods to their network is quite generous, dial-up or broadband using either wireless (starbucks etc.) or hard-wired (personal network). However, the expectation is that it will orginate from a laptop that is configured internally by them without administrative priviledges, so I have little control over settings of this box. I my current system has a series of port-forwarding rules in place, thus my reason for static addressing.

FM

Reply to
Father Merrin

That explains it better. I don't think you'll have any problem.

On the Linksys there should be an option to assign IP's via DHCP. Simply allocate a small range for use and the laptop should acquire one from that pool. Once this is done, the VPN itself should do the rest.

Reply to
Don Kelloway

Thank you kindly, FM

Reply to
Father Merrin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.