Cisco Newb Question- sorry

Okay, let me apologize for being a newb that posts. I just can't afford the monetary cost if I screw this up.

I have a Cisco router 2513 router. I would like to have ethernet running over the serial or token ring interfaces. I know the stack abstracts the hardware from the transport BUT can the router handle this?

Do I need some simple physical converter or a more complex solution? Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks. indo

Reply to
indo
Loading thread data ...

Ethernet can only run over ethernet interfaces, serial and token ring interfaces can do serial or token ring.

The simple solution is an NM-1E

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

In article , indo wrote: :I have a Cisco router 2513 router. I would like to have ethernet :running over the serial or token ring interfaces. I know the stack :abstracts the hardware from the transport BUT can the router handle :this?

"ethernet" includes the physical layer, and neither serial interfaces nnor Token Ring interfaces are accepted physical layers for ethernet.

What you -probably- want to do is run IP over those interfaces, not ethernet over those interfaces.

:Do I need some simple physical converter or a more complex solution? :Are there any drawbacks?

Perhaps if you expanded on what you are trying to do?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Okay, lets start at the begining, then if some basic thing I am misunderstanding is wrong I won't trip you/me up any further.

I bought a Cisco 2514 router on ebay to teach myself. I found one, saw the two RJ-45 jacks and assumed I could route an ethernet connection through it. Stupid I know, usually I research everything for days but, gah. Anyway, I sent it off too two friends who said it was a good price got their recomendation.

I get the sucker here and figure out that the AUX port is just the programming port NOT any sort of ethernet interface.

So the fully elaborated question: How can I get it to accept a DSL WAN connection and an outgoing ethernet to my network?

Ahh yes, sorry ethernet and TCP/IP got fused in my head : P. Your right, TCP/IP over another interface but I still need to convert that physcial interface to ethernet for my network.

I found this serial to ethernet converter earlier:

formatting link
what you just I am doubting this would help, but it is very cheap and I figured I would ask. This is "serial" not like what this Cisco box (forgive my ignorance) has labled as Serial but rather the same jack as the Token Ring. There is this:
formatting link
know next to zilch about what an AUI is, Wikipedia and Google are turing up some sort of interface for ethernet NIC's. If this isn't the case then these are translating the signal. Would either of these transparently let me do all my routing stuff? If one of these transceivers would work any recommendations?

Okay, thats a new one on me. After some Googling from what I understand I cannot install any Cisco Networking Modules into a 2500 series router. Maybe I'm wrong. Also I can't seem to find one much below a $100. I can barley afford all this. I am _scraping_ together an education at the moment. If something above my budget is the only solution I will save for a month or two and put off the education. I would be willing to hack the 2500, say if there is some component not died into the board but just a module that I could swap out. Although I am seriously doubting this is the case, you all would know much better than me the hackability of this stuff.

I could resell this thing and get a 26x1 series router since I don't think any 2500's have two ethernet interfaces. Everything I am finding on ebay hits above a hundred. Cheap used reseller hook-ups anyone?

Thanks so much and sorry for being an idiot who bought a 2500 in the first place. Zach

Reply to
indo

In article , indo wrote: :I bought a Cisco 2514 router on ebay to teach myself. I found one, saw :the two RJ-45 jacks and assumed I could route an ethernet connection :through it. Stupid I know, usually I research everything for days but, :gah. Anyway, I sent it off too two friends who said it was a good :price got their recomendation.

:I get the sucker here and figure out that the AUX port is just the :programming port NOT any sort of ethernet interface.

:So the fully elaborated question: How can I get it to accept a DSL WAN :connection and an outgoing ethernet to my network?

:I could resell this thing and get a 26x1 series router since I don't :think any 2500's have two ethernet interfaces.

formatting link
The 2514 *has* two ethernet interfaces. The connectors are not RJ-45, they are AUI, but that *is* an ethernet interface. To get the signal into 10BaseT you need a transceiver such as the MiLan "Micro Mau" MIL-10P model, or such as a Kingston Technology Corporation EtheRx model MAU-002 .

ebay for 10baset aui transceiver The one labeled "QNTY 2 Transcievers Transceivers Ethernet 10baseT AUI" should work for sure, but you could probably do better on price. The one at the top that ends later today looks like it would probably work; it has a $4.99 "By It Now", but notice that it is located in Singapore, so by the time you pay shipping and handling and customs, one of the others might be less expensive.

You can find other manufacturers and models by searching dealtime.com's transceiver section for 10baset aui -- possibly if you were to search specifically on one of the models there you might find a good deal that doesn't happen to be indexed by ebay .

Reply to
Walter Roberson

The beginning is good. Its better to state what you want from the start, rather than to start off with some assumptions and ask questions specific to those assumptions that probably are wrong.

The 2514 was made before 10-Base-T was widely used. The RJ-45 jacks on it are the console port and the aux port. Both serial ports. Typically you program the router through the console serial port, and could hang a modem for dial-backup on the aux port. Or some other means.

The Ethernet ports are the AUI connectors labelled E0 and E1 on the router. It was made to have AUIs to be flexible, either plugging into some transceivers up to taps, or 10-base-2 or 10-base-t transceivers.

You probably want to find some 10-base-T micro transceivers on eBay, should be fairly cheap, in the few dollar range.

The console port is the programming port. aux typically doesn't do anything unless you set it up to do it.

First, get some 10-base-T micro transceivers, and then hook up your DSL WAN to one of the ethernet ports (ie. either E0 or E1).

Thats not a convertor. Thats just a shell. Its unfortunate that they say Ethernet anywhere close to it. If you wanted to make your own Cisco programming cable, you could use this, although buying one on eBay for $1 would be cheaper if you didn't get one with the router.

You don't need this in any shape or form.

formatting link
The $3-$4 range is good. Cisco never made any, the ones labelled cisco at the higher price are just people trolling for people that don't know any better.

Wrong advice, probably given before you told people what you wanted and had. Ignore.

It'll work fine. Afterall, the Cisco 25xx platform was released in

1994 and was the mainstay of the cisco smaller-end CPE range for almost 8 years. Its a big slow and clunky for being a box that is 11 years old now, but it'll work fine for learning on.
Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Ahh well, I am a dumbass. This is a 25_13_. Sob. So, from the ebay back too the ebay? Thanks, sorry, that's an embarsingly bad screwup. Zach

Reply to
indo

In article , indo wrote: :Ahh well, I am a dumbass. This is a 25_13_. Sob. So, from the ebay :back too the ebay?

You can get Token Ring to Ethernet Bridges, but it's probably not worth the price.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.