Dumb Insteon question

The only table Insteon activators I've seen have only 5 sets of buttons. I have a lot more than 5 lights, I'm using X-10 right now and have about

14 of 16 active. Where do I find a Insteon that will do 16 different lights?
Reply to
Nick Hull
Loading thread data ...

I believe that panel folds open to reveal more buttons than you'll ever need if it's like their X10-only version

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'm actually still using the X10 controller with the X10 to Insteon Translator which is working pretty well for me. Of course, an Insteon Controller with more buttons would be my first choice. While I haven't tried it yet, I think I read something about being able to control more than one device by tapping On or OFF two or three times. Download the expanded manual from their site for more info.

Reply to
BruceR

No, it doesn't.

"Robert Green" wrote in news:ZPadnaeqnKzc7lDenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Reply to
James Himmelman

It's not. The buttons under the cover allow you to set X10 codes to the

5 buttons showing when the cover is closed.

Reply to
BruceR

Please disregard my dumb answer. The X-10 only version has the full 256 X-10 command set accessible. The Insteon model folds out to reveal the same few buttons inside that it has outside.

formatting link
I could have sworn I looked at both "exploded" views and they both had a plethora of buttons under the cover. As they say on Robot Chicken: "What a twist!" I sure was fooled.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Yeah - I realized it a bit after posting. My bad.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Mea Culpeper. I have erred again. But I'll bet a lot of Insteon users

*wish* that it folded out to reveal the same spread of buttons its X-10 twin sports. Only 5 buttons? What a useless piece of junk for a box as big as my answering machine! :-) No, that's not true. The Control-Linc is bigger by far!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

The Insteon DEOS have a bunch of buttons under the cover but they are not for Insteon control. They are buttons used just to program X10 commands to one of the 5 channels.

Reply to
BruceR

The picture at:

formatting link
looks as if all the buttons on the bottom lid are accessible via holes cut in the lid. I assume they have different functions when the lid is open and the cover switch state changes. The X-10 controller, on the other hand, reveals over 30 more hidden buttons when you flip the lid in addition to the ones accessible through the closed lid. That's what I was trying to say, albeit somewhat clumsily.

-- Bobby G.

The Pressure to Cover

Reply to
Robert Green

With lid open you see the same 14 buttons and the same function. Only different labeling, X10 labels.

Reply to
Manny Bhuta

Yes, it's a shame. Plus, there are no wireless options at this time.

Actually, what I'm doing is using the regular X-10 RF wireless "Palm Pad" remotes. I use a W800 reciever to grab the signal and feed it directly into my computer where HomeSeer then sends out the Insteon command of my choice. The W800 works GREAT at receiving all X-10 commands, and this way no X-10 signals are sent through my powerlines to interfere with Insteon.

"Robert Green" wrote in news:7OGdnRmj4fzrClDenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Reply to
James Himmelman

No, he was comparing it to the Controlinc Maxi, which has a lot more buttons under the cover. See here -

formatting link
"BruceR" wrote in news:BOgzf.1393$Ou1.150 @tornado.socal.rr.com:

Reply to
James Himmelman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.