[OT] Limited User Account (WinXP Pro SP2).

Hello.

For security reasons I created a Limited User Account (LUA) and begin to wonder if the security benefits outweigh the hassles.

Most applications are working only with Administrator-level accounts.

formatting link
recommends to contact the software manufacturers...well, most of them don't respond.

The "Run as..." option doesn't work on all applications like CA AV.

With respect to AV/A-S applications, only SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D responded. I was advised that when scanning with SAS in Administrator Account the LUA is included as well. Spybot S&D however recommends to scan both accounts individually.

Ad-Aware, and a2 have yet to respond.

My resident (Real-Time) Av application (CA Anti-Virus v8.3.0.1 - free one-year trial) will not update while in Limited User A/C. Error Messages: "Security center was unable to successfully update components." "The licence validating did not complete successfully: Failed to connect to the update server. An error has been detected while trying to make an internet connection. Please check your connection settings and try again."

CA forum is very poorly visited and I don't expect a response.

I am a careful surfer, don't play any computer games, practice safe-hex and my OS & browser (IE7) are 'hardened' considerably. Routine AV scans (incl. Multi_AV) never show anything serious. I haven't had a severe virus encounter for a very long time.

What are your experiences and/or recommendations?

Is it worth the hassle using LUA?

TIA...........Mel :)

Reply to
Mel Bourne
Loading thread data ...

With Windows XP Pro, all of the ordinary user applications included with Windows work perfectly when run by a limited user. Some administrative functions, such as creating accounts or installing software require Administrator privileges. Just log in as Administrator when you need to do those things. Third-party user applications should work for a limited user, assuming that they are properly designed. Of course, products like firewalls and virus scanners that require access to the entire computer will need to run as Administrator.

Yes, it's worth the hassle, especially for users who have no idea which operations are safe and which are dangerous. Don't even give them the Administrator password.

Reply to
Gary Mills

Can't confirm that. Most applications I work with run just fine under a limited user account, or can at least be configured to do so.

First ask yourself: would it be a good idea to run the application as a limited user? System maintenance tasks and stuff like that, like e.g. defragmenting the harddisk, changing the (system-wide) configuration of the virus scanner, etc., should only be done by administrative users. If it's something like that: log in as an administrative user, do the task, then switch back to the limited user. If it's something that can be expected to run with limited rights: check the support pages and FAQ of the vendor. Maybe they've already documented what to do. Also you can try to analyze and fix the problem yourself. I've just updated the little HOWTO [1] I wrote about this.

Contact the vendor only if the above steps didn't solve your problem. If the vendor doesn't respond, I suggest to dump their product and switch to something that does support LUA.

"Run as" does not solve the problem, because a) the application will be running with elevated privileges, which was what you wanted to avoid in the first place, and b) an application running interactively with elevated priveleges may be subject to so-called shatter attacks.

[...]

It most definitely is.

[1]
formatting link
cu 59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

formatting link

A very good idea, I use them.

For e.g. double clicking on the clock in the systray does not display the clock in a windows, because it does not want you to change the clock. Also, changing timezone is a quite legitimate thing for a non-admin user to want to do.

I would recommend makemeadmin for that.

... but none the less the user does not need to run as administrator while using them.

Yes it is worth the hassle.

formatting link

Regards

Reply to
Dave English

Why?

Although the command line in XP from Executive software requires admin, their full products do not I think.

The excellent Whitney defrag command line does not require admin, except of course to install the driver.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave English

And good, too, that you meant a kernel module, not the driver pattern ;-)

SCNR, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Has been fixed in Windows Vista, where is shows a read-only calendar. For Windows XP and below, you can create a trivial system control applet that launches other programs, f.e. RainLendar.

Same thing. You can actually change the timezone, the applet is just too stupid. Aaron Margosis' Blog discusses a work-around.

After all, changing the time should also be a legitimate thing - if Windows had something like a user-dependent time like many Unix flavors have.

I would strictly disrecommend makemeadmin. You'd be starting to fuddle with ownerships and privileges. For the same reason, the classical invokation of 'runas' is bad.

Best recommendation would be Fast User Switching or SuperiorSU (for Windows

2000).
Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

You consider allowing the user to start performance-critical and potentially security-critical maintainance tasks as a feature?

Installing a driver for defragmentation? This is crazy. Too good that you actually just meant a service, not a driver.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

MSFT does not only use "driver" for kernel modules.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Maybe I didn't get the joke, that's why I'm discussing it:

For defragmentation, you just need to use some FSCTLs. This requires admin rights for some, but can be done by any user-mode program. Thus, implementing a driver is always superfluos. Implementing a service is no necessity either, just good for management. (Beside that, every driver is mapped as a service.)

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I still don't get it. No-one ever mentioned if the driver would be kernel-mode or user-mode (both would work), I just stated that there's no need to have any driver at all, and neither a service (which is what he actually meant, as I derived by actually looking at this program).

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Because system maintenance is administrative work? Sure, one can build a defragmenter that can be used with limited rights, but that'd require a either elevation of the user's privileges, or a backend running with elevated privileges, both of which might be exploited by malware. Plus, I'd prefer to logically separate administrative tasks (especially system maintenance) from user tasks.

The fact that you *can* do something doesn't necessarily imply that you

*should* be doing it.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.