newbie question about Sygate

I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate Personal Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block outbound traffic similar to ZA? TIA

Reply to
NewsReader
Loading thread data ...

"Odd H. Sandvik" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.online.no:

Since you might know Sygate Personal (freebie or Pro version), do you know if it also provide for URL filtering? And do those URL filters permit regular expressions? Rather than have, say, 54 entries in the hosts file to block Doubleclick, I'd like to use URL filtering with a regular expression of ":////.*/.doubleclick/..*//" (don't remember if colon needs to be escaped) so I could block Doubleclick with one entry instead of dozens of them. I looked at the online help file for Sygate Personal Pro and only saw its section on advanced rules, but that doesn't permit URL filtering nor does it let you filter outbound connections based on IP *name* (which might be wildcarded, if supported) but only on IP *address*.

Reply to
*Vanguard*

"Casey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net:

Then I guess I'm still looking for another firewall replacement. I'd like URL filtering (by IP *name*) and regular expressions so the filter will cover all hostnames or subdomains of a targeted domain to block.

Reply to
*Vanguard*

Upon installation of Sygate, the default setting for all applications/services is Ask (blocked but asking for permission to connect). You can respond to each one with remember/allow to permit each one to (outbound) connect. You can follow up and assign remote port numbers which restricts ports that each application/service can connect to. Other responses could be remember/ask or remember/block for those you don't want connecting. Casey

Reply to
Casey

Sygate advanced rules are created using combinations of the following parameters: allow/block; addresses(IP,MAC,all); protocols(tcp/udp/icmp/all); ports(local/remote); scheduling; and application.

Reply to
Casey

Yes

Reply to
Odd H. Sandvik

Outpost firewall and the blockpost plugin for it can do this you can get more info here..

formatting link

Reply to
bassbag

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.